Forgot password?

Moving to the Philippines?

Join InterNations to meet other expats where you live and read more articles like Philippines: Visa Types and Requirements with relevant information for expats.

Jacques Paillard

Living in Philippines, from France

"All expatriates in my company joined InterNations because it really helped me get accustomed to my new life in Manila. "

Adriana Rodrigues Zon

Living in Philippines, from Portugal

"The idea of getting to know other expats in Manila was very appealing to me, and I've greatly expanded my network in the Philippines. "

InterNations - a community of trust

The Philippines at a Glance

Philippines: Visa Types and Requirements

Have you decided to move to the Philippines? Your life will probably change completely after settling in the second largest archipelago in the world. The InterNations guide on the Philippines provides you with all the necessary info for this adventure, on everything from geography to visa.

Depending on your country of origin, you don’t need a visa for short visits of up to 21 days. Longer visits of up to 59 days are possible as well, with a single- or multiple-entry visa. As you, however, are probably planning to enter the country for the purpose of employment, you will need a non-immigrant visa for pre-arranged employment.

Relevant Visa Types

There are different visa types which may apply to you when you move to the Philippines:

Visa Requirements

The requirements you need for a visa for the Philippines vary significantly, depending on the purpose and the duration of your stay. However, we would like to give you an example of the paperwork you need to submit. To apply for a pre-arranged employment visa, you need:

If you are planning to move to the Philippines with your entire family, you should also attach a marriage certificate and birth certificates. These documents have to be notarized. If you apply in any other language than English, remember to submit your paperwork with English translations.

Alien Employment Permit

It is not enough to secure an employment visa before moving to the Philippines. The government requires non-resident foreign nationals to apply for an Alien Employment Permit (AEP) if they plan on working in the Philippines. The department responsible for this permit is the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE).

You can try to apply for an AEP at your nearest consulate or embassy. However, an application will be more successful if it is done through your prospective employer at one of the regional offices of the DOLE. The period of validity of your AEP depends on the duration of your work contract and the nature of your position in your company in the Philippines.

ACR I-Card

The ACR I-Card is a microchip based identification card which carries all your information relevant to immigration officials:

The card also serves as an Emigration Clearance Certificate (ECC), Re-Entry Permit (RP) and Special Return Certificate (SRC).

InterNations Expat Magazine