Join now

Vitamin D Deficiency/Osteoporosis in Middle East (Abu Dhabi)

Views

My name is Dr. John Graham, and I'm a Chiropractor at the Mazyad Medical Center here in Abu Dhabi, and also the Dubai Bone and Joint Center in Healthcare City. Back in the United States, I wrote public education/information articles on various topics in our local paper. I'm starting this thread to open dialogue for any Internation's members who may have questions concerning their general health issues, and nutrition. I went to Palmer College of Chiropractic in the United States. I also have a Masters degree in nutrition from the University of Bridgeport, Connecticut, and focus on clinical nutrition, herbs and support for various diagnosed clinical conditions as an adjunct to the chiropractic services. My first topic deals with vitamin D, and osteopenia/osteoporosis. It may seem strange that in this region, there are people that can have osteoporosis. This is particularly acute in the Arab/Muslim population. The reason being is the LACK of exposure of sunlight on the body. One only needs about 15 min. of decent sun exposure on face or arms/legs to have the skin start the process of the production of vitamin D. Yes, you can, and do, produce your own vitamin D – the process finishes in the kidneys to make vitamin D3. As a non-Arab ex-pat, sun exposure for the production of vitamin D is a non-issue. When one is covered in an abaya, that lack of exposure can influence osteopenia/osteoporosis development of the bone. Hence, supplementation is necessary. The problem I see, as a non-Arab ex-pat living in an area with tremendous sunshine and high exposure; is that the calcium in our bloodstream is driven into the bone – all well, and good. However, if you are deficient in saturated fatty acids/good fats, to carry calcium to the other soft tissues of your body; you could wind up with severe muscle cramps, digestive disturbances, cold sores, and skin eruptions. I highly recommend vitamin E, as well as unsaturated fatty acids – primarily from butter, to ensure adequate transport of blood calcium to those soft tissues that also require that mineral. Of course, taking approximately Protected content of calcium – and I recommend taking it in an acid bound form such as CALCIUM CITRATE or CALCIUM LACTATE-- each being 800X and Protected content more absorbable than oyster shell/calcium carbonate, respectably, is a well-known standard for bone/joint health. We can talk about the disruptive effects of calcium carbonate/Tums./Rolaids/H-blockers in another thread. Remember – if you wear an abaya definitely supplement your diet with vitamin D. If you're out on the beach in your swimsuit, don't worry about taking vitamin D in this region of the world. Keep the vitamin E up, butter for the unsaturated fatty acids, and a great calcium support – not only will your bones love you; but so will your skin, blood vessels, muscles, and intestinal tract! If you have any questions or comments, I look forward to them to diligently research, and return an answer.... And, enjoy another sunny day in paradise! Jack Graham DC

Abu Dhabi Forum

Our Global Partners