All In A Bag Survival Kits
For this month's initiative, I'd like to help bring some light to the maids who are on the run. There are currently Protected content on the run in one of the embassy shelters with 8 babies Protected content old ) and 2 toddlers ( 2/3 years old ).
I have first hand experiences of the injustices some of them suffer, and they are real. Given a better option, no one would choose to leave their homes and families to work in a foreign land where they have no rights, with limited freedom and where contractually they can see their loved ones once every two years, that is if they are lucky.
To willingly go down that path shows only their desperation. And to take advantage of their desperation is deplorable.
Most of them fled employment with hardly any belongings and without any idea of how long they will be there for. Even though it is against the law now, many of their employers still keep hold of their passports. They have no means to contact the outside world unless they are lucky enough to be gifted a mobile phone and call credits. They rely totally on what is brought to them from outside the Embassy.
My heart sinks whenever I imagine myself in that situation.....not having access to the most basic of needs. Many of them just wish to return home, and even that right is denied to them.
I would like to organise a drive to collect Protected content Survival Kits for the ladies and some stuff for the 8 babies and 2 toddlers.
Please fill a bag with any or all of the items on the wishlist. For logisitic and handling purposes, each bag must be no bigger than a Carrefoure or Monoprix Shopping bag as shown in the picture. You must also be able to tape close the bag to prevent items from falling out.
Here is a wishlist:
1. Feminine hygiene products
2. Shampoo, soap and shower gel
3. Body lotion or some form of moisturisers
4. Toothbrush and toothpaste
6. Undergarments ( new please ) and socks
7. Small-sized ladies clothing, flip flops, trainers, slippers etc
8. Phone credits
9. Non-perishable foodstuff such as instant noodles, coffee, milk powder, biscuits, tinned sardines/pilchards.
Currently, we have two drop off points and hopefully someone else will come forward to act as additional collection points:
1. Reception, Tower 30, Porto Arabia, the Pearl for Yolanda Lacey
2. Building 13, Suhaib Street, Old Airport near Papa John for Levina Govende ( Protected content ). You can drop off anytime between Protected content during the week or call her to arrange for another time.
3. Apt B35, Samrya Gardens near Doha College, Al Waab for Lindsay ( Protected content ). You can drop off to her reception between 10am and 8pm or message her for other times.
4. Reception, Tower 2, Porto Arabia, the Pearl for Silvia.
5. Beverly Hills Tower for Maha El Wardany ( Apt Protected content and 10 pm daily
6. Al Rayyan Village for Jamie Eichelberger Protected content )
7. Al Nouf Gardens, Duhail for Melissa Whitbread ( Villa 7 )
Please drop off your contributions by Wednesday 20 February 5.30pm so we have sufficient time to sort and repack if necessary. Please pm for contact details or leave in comment when you have actually dropped off your contribution ( not if you planning to ).
Please REMEMBER to label your bags!
In addition to putting bags together, we will need help with the following:
1. Act as a collection point in addition to the above, preferably outside the Pearl or West Bay,
2. Help with storage, sorting and drop off.
Please message me directly if you can offer help other than contributing the items needed.
Sorry, but you are not allowed to join this Activity Group!
We are afraid that you cannot join, because the Consuls have limited access to this Activity Group.
If you would like to explore other InterNations Activities in your Local Community, please have a look at this overview page.