A Day with Lucio Fontana
ADMISSIONS AT THE MET: PLEASE REFER TO THE MET WEBSITE FOR NON NYC RESIDENTS.
ADMISSION TO EL BARIO: SUGGESTED
.The first major survey of Lucio Fontana Protected content in the United States in more than forty years, this exhibition reexamines the career of one of the most innovative artists of the twentieth century. The Argentine-Italian artist is widely known for his Cuts series, slashed paintings that became symbols of the postwar era. The exhibition presents extraordinary examples of this iconic body of work. It also explores Fontana's beginnings as a sculptor, including his exquisite work in ceramic, as well as his pioneering environments, contextualizing the radical gesture of his Cuts as part of the artist's broader search to integrate the space of art and the space of the viewer.
1. We will meet at Protected content for a generous intake of caffeine to sustain the day, which will involve some walking from museum to museum, and most importantly an opportunity for social time.
.2 We will visit the exhibition at Protected content at an unspecified time after social time at the cafe.
.3. We will walk to the main Met via Central Park.
4. We will check out the exhibition at the Met, which is on two floors. We will set a regroup time.
5. OPTIONAL: if our caffeine intake is wearing out and we have the time we can stop at The Balcony at the Met for a refill of energy.
6. We will walk to El Bario via Central Park.
7. We will visit Lucio Fontana’s Protected content Environment which is more likely to be the jewel of the day.
Fontana’s Spatial Environments are immersive environments that viewers enter and navigate. Reconstructed with the authorization of the Fondazione Lucio Fontana, the all-white, labyrinthine Spatial Environment Protected content El Museo will follow the exact specifications of the artist’s final work in the series, originally conceived and presented at documenta 4 in Kassel, Germany shortly before Fontana’s death.
8. At this point there is no more coffee that can sustain us so an early dinner or strong drinks are in order for those of you who wish to grab a bite. El Bario closes at 5:00.
Sorry, but you are not allowed to join this Activity Group!
We are afraid that you cannot join, because the Consuls have limited access to this Activity Group.
If you would like to explore other InterNations Activities in your Local Community, please have a look at this overview page.