Hungarian Herbal Liqueur Museum & Cellar visit
Some of you have asked me to organize Protected content Museum visit, here it is:)
In Protected content Habsburg Emperor Joseph II sips a bitter herbal digestive liqueur created by his court physician and exclaims: “Das ist ein Unikum!” (This is unique!) At once, a national beverage and brand name–Unicum–was born. Fifty years later, József Zwack, a descendant of the famous physician, opens his first shop in Budapest.
Unicum is a Hungarian herbal liqueur or bitters, drunk as a digestif and apéritif. The liqueur is today produced by Zwack according to a secret formula of more than forty herbs; the drink is aged in oak casks. During Communism in Hungary, the Zwack family lived in exile in New York City and Chicago, and Unicum in Hungary was produced using a different formula. Before moving to the US Janos Zwack had entrusted a family friend in Milan with the production of Unicum based on the original recipe. After the fall of communism, Péter Zwack returned to Hungary and resumed production of the original Unicum.
Museum visit lasts approximately 1,5 hours and it includes the following:
* short film on the history of Zwack family and the Zwack company
* English guided tour in the museum, where the Zwack family's fabulous reliques, - the more than Protected content old herb liqueur - the Unicum's history and several extraordinary bottles can be found.
* visit to the old distillery, namely the "Heart of Unicum" which is now in its original conditions since it has been renovated based on the original photos that remained. More than Protected content old distilling systems, stone barrels - used for extraction - and aromatic herbs that might be a part of the Unicum's secret recipe are exhibited in this tarnished building.
* The last station of the tour is the Unicum cellar which is a labyrinth with almost Protected content barrels where the Unicum is aged for half a year. The visitors can taste the original Unicum and the Unicum Plum straight from the oak barrels enjoying the fragrances and the flavours of these herb liqueurs.
* 5% discount in the shop with the entrance ticket on that day.
Hope to see you.
With best regards, and have a nice day:
Sorry, but you are not allowed to join this Activity Group!
We are afraid that you cannot join, because the Group Consuls have limited access to this Activity Group.
If you would like to explore other InterNations Activities in your Local Community, please have a look at this overview page.