Forest of Dean - Mountain Bike Trail Weekend: Level 3/Blue
Join me for a fantastic Mountain Biking weekend on a purpose-built mountain bike trail centre in the Forest of Dean which is situated in the Wye Valley in the west of England close to the village of Coleford in Gloucestershire.
This is open to anybody who is already happy riding a mountain bike on off-road trails and does not require a great level of skill to participate but will be an opportunity to enhance your skills in a controlled environment. I will be able to give you some basic coaching (mobility on the bike, braking position and cornering). We can also practice some basic skills such as track-stands (balancing stationary on the bike).
We will ride on the 'blue' trails in the centre, which is a circuit of sweeping banked curves (berms) but without any significant obstacles or drop-offs. We will also do another ride through the forest, outside of the trail centre itself, with a similar level of difficulty.
I will arrange one free-time session where you can ride on your own, the blue trails or the more challenging red or even black trails if you wish, but at your own risk.
For and explanation of the 'blue' and other gradings of organised UK trails, Please refer to:Protected content
Decent quality mountain bikes are essential for this weekend, recommended with at least front suspension.
You can hire a good quality mountain bike at the centre at an extra cost of about £52 for the weekend, or you can take your own if you are using your own transport. I will have a very limited capacity to carry bikes, on a first come first serve basis, if you are traveling with me.
You need to be fairly fit because we will be riding all day and there is a fair amount of climbing involved.
We leave on the Saturday Morning, and then have almost two full days of mountain biking fun before returning on Sunday evening, with time to chill-out at a country pub and reflect on the weekend's events.
There are extensive kilometres of trail in this established and renowned trail centre, but I will plan a ride for each day on and off the signed trails but will be graded 'blue level' throughout for about Protected content riding and a stop for picnic lunch.
- The first day aiming to start by 11am, will incorporate the blue sculpted trail but also on forest tracks.
- On the second day, we will start with a 2 hour free-time session where you can ride the blue, red or black trails on your own. There will be an all day ride possibly incorporating the blue trail and out into the forest with a picnic lunch on the way.
Depending on numbers, I will offer minibus transport from Reading or will use a private car. I will simply split the transport cost between all the participants traveling with me which will be approximately £35 per person for a full car/minibus. Alternatively, you can make your own way to the accommodation using your own transport.
If you want to take your own bike, you will need to assure your own transport and that of your bike.
• What's included:
- 1 night of comfortable B&B accommodation with ensuite bathroom/shower, based on 2 or 3 people sharing a room.
- Guided Mountain bike rides over two days
• Optional at extra cost:
- Minibus/Private car return transport and parking charges to location from Reading - £35
- Good quality hardtail or full suspension mountain bike rental - approx £ Protected content
• What's not included:
- Lunches and refreshments
- Other personal costs.
• What to bring
- Good quality hardtail or full suspension mountain bike (if not hiring one)
- Helmet (if not hiring one) and appropriate clothing, including shoes, gloves, glasses and waterproofs for 2 days' riding.
- Small backpack with drink bladder or separate drink bottle
- Snacks for rides (fruit, cereals, energy bars, electrolytes)
- Small travel bag for 2-night trip (aircraft cabin bag style or similar)
Advisable: spare inner tube, puncture repair kit, first-aid kit, mobile phone.
Sorry, but you are not allowed to join this Activity Group!
We are afraid that you cannot join, because the Consuls have limited access to this Activity Group.
If you would like to explore other InterNations Activities in your Local Community, please have a look at this overview page.