Ideas Exchange: Gender, Race, Species – Types of Human Beings
Many people from the ideological “left” insist that gender and race are social constructs without any basis in biology. Others criticise the very existence of “human races”. We are also in a period of rapid technological transformation, where we will soon be sharing our lives with other sentient beings, with artificial intelligence being the most obvious example.
Nevertheless, many “conservatives” reject the progressive narrative and insist on traditional definitions of “men”, “women”, and on a nuclear family. Such people fear that the end of society as we know it will come about because of new, “liquid” definitions of types of human beings.
We’ll get together and with coffee or other beverage in hand talk to other human beings that are as passionate as ourselves about finding answers.
Some subjects we’ll touch on:
• The concepts of gender and race – absolute or changeable?
• Implications of a non-binary world
• Animals, humans, robots – who should be subject to human rights?
• Who is “worth” more – pandas, humans or super-intelligent beings?
• Our identity – do we need labels in the modern world?
Upon finishing the get-together, we will have gained new perspectives on the subjects and deepened our understanding on the categories that are predominant in society, their definitions and desirability.
• 7:00 – 7:30: Welcome and initial chat
• 7:20 – 9:50: Discussion in groups
• 9:50 – 10:00: Selfie time, close
Sorry, but you are not allowed to join this Activity Group!
We are afraid that you cannot join, because the Consuls have limited access to this Activity Group.
If you would like to explore other InterNations Activities in your Local Community, please have a look at this overview page.