Let's discover Moscow Old city: Ivanovsky Hill
Weather forecast is sunny, and I cordially invite you to investigate Ivanovskaya Gorka (“Ivanovsky Hill”) neighborhoods — an enjoyable destination for great-outdoors lovers who fancy a walk in the cozy Old City.
Ivanovskaya Gorka is a historical name you won't find on the ‘official’ city maps, but you can really walk here for hours.
• Downtown district around Ivanovsky (=St.John the Baptist’s) Convent
• well-preserved part of the old Moscow’s White City (between “Kitai-Gorod” and “Chistye Prudy” metro stations)
• architectural and historic reservation area including several neighborhoods such as Old Gardens, Kulishki, Glinyszy, Podkopay, and Khitrovka, which are closely interconnected through an amazing network of inner courtyards, passages and by-streets
• popular public space with lots of cafes, restaurants, pubs and vibrant nightlife
With it sophisticated landscape, great views and historical buildings of all kinds, Ivanovsky Hill is often featured in the films as the scenery of old Moscow. Let’s go see why!
Let’s walk along these quiet little streets, up and down the hill, breathing the air of old city and looking around for “messages” and footprints left by people from other centuries and different cultures.
We will see:
• plenty of churches, mansions and manor houses, a baroque palace, a ‘medieval castle’ and 17th-century chambers
• a Lutheran corner (around the Lutheran Church)
• a Jerusalem corner (around the Grand/Choral Synagogue)
• an Albrecht Dürer corner (guess where)
• a ‘Moscow Florence’ corner
• Funny statues: Lenin looking over the fence to the monastery courtyard, and Ivan the Terrible in front of a Soviet constructivism-style building, etc.
And many more.
Please wear comfortable shoes—there’ll be a lot of walking.
This is a free walking tour in English. Tips are very much appreciated but totally not required.
Meeting point: Protected content
When: Saturday, September 22, 14:00
Duration: ~2. Protected content
Finish: near Pokrovsky Boulevard/or back to Kitai-Gorod metro
How to get to the meeting place:
If you need more guidance, please do not hesitate to PM or call me, I'll be happy to help.
IT'S ON! Hope to see you there!
Sorry, but you are not allowed to join this Activity Group!
We are afraid that you cannot join, because the Consuls have limited access to this Activity Group.
If you would like to explore other InterNations Activities in your Local Community, please have a look at this overview page.