Let's discover Old Moscow: passionate Chistye Prudy
The summer is finally over, but we are not going to stay indoors for the next 6 months, right? It is forecast to be +10C and only partly cloudy over this weekend, and I cordially invite you, great-outdoors lovers, to continue our city walks in the cozy Old Moscow—this time around the Chistye Prudy (the Clean Ponds) Boulevard neighborhood:
• Historically, part of the Boulevard Ring around Myasnitskaya Street and the Pagan pounds;
• An alternative city hub, opposite to the ‘official’ Kremlin-based city center;
• One of Moscow’s ‘places of power’ for artists, non-mainstream musicians, writers, rockers, bikers, youth subcultures, and nonconformists of all kinds;
• Social interactions, get-togetherness, opposition, (com)passion & empathy contexts.
This place attracts people even if they know nothing about its dense historical & cultural background.
We will see:
• Buildings & streets that remember Tchaikovsky, De Bussy, Eisenstein, Vitali, Shukhov, Pushkin, Griboyedov, and Pasternak, among many others
• Buildings The Business Case, buildings The-Challenge, buildings I-Did-It-My-Way (Egg House, Tea House, Russia’s Insurance Company building etc.)
• Moscow masterpiece of the XX century Modernism by Le Corbusier
• Cozy courtyards with live pheasants and peacocks (if we are lucky with the weather), and hiding statues
• Facades with incorrect arithmetics, salamanders, bats, and a whole zoo of fabulous beasts
'Dissonance is a driver of music,' said one of those who once lived here, composer Pyotr Tchaikovsky.
Moscow contrasts in architectural spaces are so much this kind of music, and Chistye Prudy is just filled with it.
Let’s go and see how it’s played in this very Moscow-style eclectic neighborhood.
And, the Boulevard Ring is just beautiful now, in the golden autumn.
Please dress warm and wear comfortable shoes—there’ll be a lot of walking.
This is a free walking tour in English. Tips are very much appreciated but totally not required.
Meeting point: Protected content
When: Sunday, September 30, 14:00
Duration: ~2. Protected content
Finish: close to the meeting point, at the Vladimir Shukhov monument (Chistye Prudy/Turgenevskaya metro station exit)
How to get to the meeting place:
If you need further guidance, please do not hesitate to PM or call me, I'll be happy to help.
Sorry, but you are not allowed to join this Activity Group!
We are afraid that you cannot join, because the Consuls have limited access to this Activity Group.
If you would like to explore other InterNations Activities in your Local Community, please have a look at this overview page.