Zugspitze 2018 : night fullmoon & day hike
On the 28th June Protected content be full moon :-)
as every year since Protected content offer for the advandced hikers of the group a race against the time in a challenging hike ( not climb ) going through the Gatterl route ( More than Protected content height difference and around 17 km from the Ehrwald Station).
You can look for former editions of this classical event to get an idea:
-year Protected content in around 7 Hours; we had breakdown of one of us so we had to go slower)
-year Protected content around 5:25 hours; beating our expectations)
this year is something different again : going to the top and ... down ! ... in the same day ! :-) .And it is a full moon 1 hike starting
Hence we will not focus this time on speed/performance but in stamina and endurance. This will be probably for some attendants the longest hike of their lives.
We will climb the almost Protected content through the gatterlpass , but in a relaxed pace (we keep our energies for the long way) starting from the Ehrwald train station (around Protected content above the sea level) in Austria and reaching the top of Germany at Protected content .
17 km approximately from the train station in Ehrwald to the top of the Zugspitze. We will do it slow Protected content to minimize the physical attrition in order to complete our challenge.
Going back we will take another different path : Reintal route . Easy and the longest path to the Garmisch train station: 23km probably much less than the normal 10 hours for going up provided that we are going down and this is much more quicker : since we will be not so fresh after climbing Protected content meters and 17 km we will do it in a relaxed pace anyway.
We will be doing around 40 km , almost a Marathon (42km) but hiking , so your physical condition needs to be top in terms of stamina walking.
You will need :
1)a light torch or head-light lamp with around 8 hours autonomy plus extra batteries. Models for runners are quite practical and light,
2) a set of extra batteries just in case.
3) hiking poles ; after 10 hours going up and doing Protected content going down your knees will thank it.
4) energetic bars , chocolate, nuts,...etc to treat possible cases of low levels of sugar in blood that turn into extreme fatigue symptoms.
5) plenty of water : I personally carry a camel bag with 3 liters. probably each of us will need 5 liters this time. Probably we can "refuel" at the cable station at Protected content , 300m below the summit.
6) hiking poles: your knees will be grateful for the > Protected content going down ...
7) extra clean clothes , deodorant and items for "dry showering" (humid towels, etc) your skin. , sun cream, sunglasses and a hut or cap.
8) extreme comfortable hiking boots for the extreme long hike, and clothes for the lower temperatures during the night walk to the top.
9) raincoat just in case. The activity will only be postpone in case of risk of thunderstorm. Rain or cloudy weather is not a reason.
Due to the nature of the challenge we want to keep the group small preferably. until 20 it is still manageable this time. Stay sharp at the meeting point since we need some time to prepare before getting the tickets and boarding the train that takes us to our starting point in Austria.
If you want to prepare for the challenge , feel free to join our intermediate and advanced hikes this summer. I do organize lately a lot in privately and in other platforms like facebook or meetups but we keep the presence here for our friends of internations.org. According to the guidelines I guess that I can not disclose the details here but feel free to ask me when we meet in person about other hikes not published in this platform if you want to join a regular group of hikers.
Sorry, but you are not allowed to join this Activity Group!
We are afraid that you cannot join, because the Group Consuls have limited access to this Activity Group.
If you would like to explore other InterNations Activities in your Local Community, please have a look at this overview page.