Volunteer with Kedai Jalanan UM
Dear KL Changemakers,
Kedai Jalanan UM is inviting us to participate in their volunteer program this March 17.
Kedai Jalanan essentially means "Street Store" in Malay. It is a social community project started by the Gender Studies Unit of University Malaya, to offer usable items to the homeless and urban poor in Kuala Lumpur at their monthly pop-up free market.
At Kedai Jalanan, each street client gets to pick up to 5 items FOC. Items are arranged neatly in baskets and on clothes racks, and street clients or "customers" are treated with dignity and respect.
DATE // 17th March Protected content
TIME // 2pm - 6pm
VENUE // Jalan Panggong - street corner (in front of Malaya-Hainan Cafe)
Lot 16, 24 Jalan Panggong,
Protected content Lumpur.
They are giving us 25 volunteer slots to help out with:
- Loading clothes and other items into the car
- Setting up clothes racks and other displays
- Hanging clothes and managing other sections (toiletries/accessories/shoes/etc.)
- Serving the "customers"
- Drinks booth (mixing & serving drinks)
- Art & crafts/watercolour workshops (if you are good at art/crafts, they can open a booth for you to teach the homeless/urban poor kids)
- Reading session with the kids
If you are not able to volunteer and wish to donate items instead:-
1. Select, clean and sort your donations as per our guidelines, and then bring them over on 17th March to Jalan Panggong, where the Kedai Jalanan volunteers will take them from you.
2. Drop your items off at the History Department Foyer, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (FASS) University of Malaya (whenever convenient to you). The landmarks are Students Clinic and Maybank. Please Waze either FASS or Maybank UM.
Clothing and items that are in bad condition should be thrown out or put into community recycling bins where stained and torn clothing will be sold as scrap fabric for industrial use.
- Wearable and reusable clothes, separated into men’s, women’s and children’s.
- Usable bags, including non-woven shopping bags, travel bags, handbags, purses, wallets and backpacks.
- Towels, blankets, mats and sarongs.
- Shoes, sandals and footwear.
- Hotel and sample-sized toileteries (no half-used tubes and bottles, please).
- Reusable food and water containers, camping plates and camping/travel cookware.
Many clients have also requested clothes suitable for work (e.g. blouses, work shirts, trousers, shoes, baju kurung) as they wish to attend job interviews to seek better employment opportunities, so let us help them in order that they may help themselves. Reusing and sharing our resources is good for the environment and community, and volunteering makes better persons of us all. :)
IMPORTANT !!! - for volunteers only
- PLEASE WHATSAPP/SMS ME TO CONFIRM YOUR ATTENDANCE. As there is a participants limit for this activity, YOUR SLOT CONFIRMATION IS BY FIRST COME FIRST SERVED BASIS.
- NO-SHOWS WILL NOT BE TOLERATED. If you have confirmed but find out later that you can't make it on the date, please inform me at least 24 hours in advance. This will give others a chance to participate in the activity instead.
Do come and join us on 17th MARCH!
Sorry, but you are not allowed to join this Activity Group!
We are afraid that you cannot join, because the Consuls have limited access to this Activity Group.
If you would like to explore other InterNations Activities in your Local Community, please have a look at this overview page.