Surf the Atlantic
If you wanted to try surfing but clueless on where to start or if you have already some experience or even advanced level, I would like to invite you to a surf trip to the Peninsula Ibérica.
- It is very safe activity for beginners: you won't be taken to big waves at all and you are all the time under the supervision of qualified instructors. For those of us who are advanced or intermediate, we know the drill, no further explanation, you already know!
- You DO need to know how to swim and have a good health condition (specially your joints, wrists, elbows, shoulders, knees, ankle, feet) and have a good physical condition.
*** Getting there ***
- Book your flights in a way that you can ensure you'll be at least the night before and the night after of the scheduled days.
............Surf classes are from Mon - Fri
............ Of course if you want to book longer or shorter times that is ok, for example, if you want to spend some days at Lisbon.
- From DUS airport, you can find direct flights with Eurowings.
- Closest airport is Lisbon, from there is 1hr drive.
- There are two bus companies tht provide several bus rides every day from Lisbon to Lourinhã and to Praia Da Areia Branca, with a final stop in Peniche.
..... Rede- Expressos has journeys each way from Lisbon's SETE RIOS BUS TERMINAL (J'ardim Zoologico Metro Stop), the last trip goes by Protected content Protected content
..... Rapida Azul of the Rodotejo Bus Company Runs from Lisbon's CAMPO GRANDE BUS / METRO station to Peniche. Last bus is at Protected content
- Try to arrive during daytime, otherwise early/late arrivals might need to hire a cab (abt 60€)
- More info:Protected content
IMPORTANT: DO TAKE CARE OF YOUR OWN FLIGHTS!!
*** The place ***
- Praia da Areia Branca has access to many surf breaks, giving many options for both beginners and advanced. The town is located south to Peniche home to the famous Supertubos and Baleal breaks. Also, very close to Lourinha.
- This is the best place to surf in Europe during this season, because it is accessible and is the cheapest (if you consider that you don't have to fly to Sri Lanka or Australia or Mexico) :-)
*** Surf lessons ***
- Surfing course consist of minimum 10 classes of 2hrs each. That means that during the 5 days of the surf camp, you'll have 2 classes a day, 4hrs a day. (And towards the end you'll want more!).
- Get in contact with Zambeachouse directly for pricing and booking (or check their website).
You may mention that you are joining with the group organized by me and they might work out a suitable package to suit your specific needs.
- The surf teachers are the best I know, they not only know their business, have their certifications in order and so on, but they DO care that you have a good surf. What does this mean? They will drive you to as many surf breaks as needed to ensure that the conditions are good, safe and secure. Other schools don't do this! They ask you to be at certain place, by your own means.
- It is September and it is the Atlantic. So come with the right expectations, is not the copa-cabana Caribe and the Atlantic is known for it's cold water. However, it has been a very warm summer, avg water temp is 19C.
- Wetsuits help but keep in mind if you suffer of hypothermia or get cold to fast, maybe is better you join as spectator.
- I won't be doing bookings on behalf of the group because of the unfortunate yet well-known lack of commitment. To avoid unnecessary trouble or confusion, each person needs to take care of own bookings. If there is enough interest, I could always check if they would be willing to give some sort of discount, the main guideline remains the same: each person takes care of it's own bookings.
- Disclaimer: I have no link nor association with the surfing school nor the accommodation places. I know the area very well and I know what to recommend, feel free to book other places if you find them more suitable.
Some photos from the previous trip
Make no mistake, surfing is more of a mindful practice rather than an extreme sport. In the beginning is all fun and splashes, then.... you'll see.
Something you will certainly remember for the rest of your lifetime!
Looking forward, storm riders!
With gratitude and excitement,
Sorry, but you are not allowed to join this Activity Group!
We are afraid that you cannot join, because the Consuls have limited access to this Activity Group.
If you would like to explore other InterNations Activities in your Local Community, please have a look at this overview page.