Free Film "Summer in the City" 1969 in German w/Engl. subtitles
***YOU DO NOT NEED TO SPEAK GERMAN TO ATTEND***
I am continuing our very popular German movie nights at Goethe-Institut and/or dinner/drinks afterwards.
- IMPORTANT: These screenings are filling up most of the times - therefore please arrive early.
- The film starts at 7:00pm. We will meet between Protected content 7pm inside the library. The later you arrive the less likely you get a good seat and even risk to not get in.
- I will try to reserve some seats. The library is on the first floor/street level/"Parterre" (if you are taking the elevator to Goethe-Institut you entered through the wrong door).
- Just look for seats with laminated InterNations signs on it inside the library.
- Click on the venue link above to be taken to the website with the event.
- Afterwards you can join us for drinks/dinner. We will try to return to Adalya at 55 Irving Placewhich accommodated us very nicely several times already. To check out the menu go to Protected content . I will not make a reservation since it is a Thursday night and not too many might be interested in dinner,
- A day before the event I will send out my cell phone number to everybody who RSVPs.
Here is the information to the film from their website:
With an introduction by Damion Searls, whose translation into English of Uwe Johnson's Anniversaries recently was published by New York Review Books
German writer Uwe Johnson ( Protected content ) lived on Manhattan’s Upper West Side for several years in the Protected content . The publisher Harcourt Brace had hired him as a textbook editor for their German-language school book editions, which allowed him to stay in New York and also tend to his own writing. In his spare time he got to know his neighborhood very well, observing the goings-on in the streets, cafeterias, and parks. In Protected content public television agreed to coproduce a film in which Johnson would, on-camera, introduce and question the various characters with whom he exchanges news and opinions on his wanderings around the Upper West Side. As an introvert he was not interested in appearing in the film, but was willing to make a list of places and situations that he felt should be featured. Christian Blackwood took charge of the project and Johnson wrote the narration once the film was edited. It was broadcast in Germany at the time.
Summer in the City
West Germany, Protected content , 89 minutes
Directed by Christian Blackwood
US distributor: Michael Blackwood Productions
Damion Searls grew up on Riverside Drive in New York City, three blocks away from Gesine Cresspahl’s apartment. He is the author of a book on Hermann Rorschach and the Rorschach test, and has translated many classic modern writers, including Marcel Proust, Rainer Maria Rilke, Friedrich Nietzsche, Robert Walser, Ingeborg Bachmann, Alfred Döblin, Jon Fosse, Elfriede Jelinek, Patrick Modiano, and Nescio.
Sorry, but you are not allowed to join this Activity Group!
We are afraid that you cannot join, because the Consuls have limited access to this Activity Group.
If you would like to explore other InterNations Activities in your Local Community, please have a look at this overview page.