Scenic Surrey Hills and Woodlands (Challenging 12 miles)
This is a challenging walk with beautiful scenery in the Surrey countryside, which is an officially designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB). It has a few steep uphills and downhills and I would say it is about 8/10 tough.
It is a circular walk which starts and finishes at Protected content
We will pass through Chantry wood which is dense woodlands and from there go to St Martha's church at the top of St Martha's Hill which is a landmark in Surrey. It is the 18th highest hill in the county. The top of the hill provides a semi-panorama of Newland's Corner also in the Surrey Hills AONB.
We will then go via Silent Pool which is a spring-fed lake at the foot of the North Downs. From there, we will climb the steep silent pool hill which is a tough one. The end of the walk takes us through Newland's corner with wonderful view of Surrey hills.
Trains to Chilworth run every 2 hours, so if you miss the 9.00 train to Guildford, you will NOT make the walk.
Train fare: You can get 1/3 off if you get a group saver. Please organise amongst yourselves if you would like a group saver. You can post messages on the activity page.
Recommended trains back to London are at 15:59 and 17:59 from Chilworth.
2. Please note that hiking as an outdoor activity carries a risk of injury. When you RSVP, you confirm that you are in good health and accept this risk. Please bring along with you your personal first aid.
3. This is a challenging hike with some hills and we will go at a reasonably fast pace. Please do not RSVP if you will not be able to keep up. I will be organising some leisurely hikes of much slower pace in the future which might be more suitable.
4. Please wear walking boots or shoes. Preferably water proof. The paths can be muddy and slippery. This depends on the weather we have before the hike. Also bring rain proof jacket in case it rains.
5. On this particular hike, there are no pubs or shops along the way, there is a cafe which is towards the end of the hike. Bring a packed lunch and plenty of water. We will find a suitable area along the way to eat our packed lunches. We will visit a pub after the hike so bring some money with you if you wish to indulge.
6. Please note that on hikes, toilets are not always available, so when we need to, we might have to go in the bushes.
7. Feel free to phone or text me if you have any questions.
8. WEATHER: Please note that it might be necessary to cancel the hike if the weather is really bad. The hike should go ahead is there is little rain.
9. I WILL BE MEETING YOU OUTSIDE Protected content .
10. DRIVERS: If you plan to drive, please note that there is no parking at Protected content but you can park at the Percy Arms pub opposite the station. This is the pub we will go to at the end of the hike.
11. A suggested donation of £3 is payable at the start of the hike. You can contribute whatever you wish. This goes towards costs incurred in order to make this hike possible. Any money left will go towards future activities.
Please be kind enough to cancel your attendance if you cannot make it and note that repeated non attendance might be reported to Internations management and might result in your removal from any future guest list.
Sorry, but you are not allowed to join this Activity Group!
We are afraid that you cannot join, because the Group Consuls have limited access to this Activity Group.
If you would like to explore other InterNations Activities in your Local Community, please have a look at this overview page.