Lion's Desert Three Crowns - Medium Level+- New route
Desierto de los Leones Triple Corona - Lion's Desert Three Crowns - (new route)
Medium Level+ Hike
This time we'll put together two routes in one hike that will have three main attractions:
· Arco Escondido - Secret Arch (It's been more than a year last time we visited).
· Mount San Miguel, the highest summit in Desierto de los Leones. At the top we'll find the highest colonial building in Mexico City, a place at Protected content above sea level, from where we may see the City of Toluca on one side, and on the other, the Valley of Mexico. It is also possible to see the Popocatépel and Iztaccihuatl volcanoes, and also the Nevado de Toluca.
· Los Balcones - The Balconies, from my point of view, one of the prettiest places in Desierto de los Leones.
Before we start our hike we'll have breakfast at “Antojitos Doña Lina” from 7: Protected content , then we'll start hiking as soon as possible considering this is a 20 km hike.
We'll take a route that has no defined trail and is not often visited. The hike will start climbing towards the Secret Arch which is in the middle of the woods, it will be technically challenging over steep terrain with considerable elevation gain and distance, certainly requires proper footwear and clothing, trekking poles (not mandatory but recommended) and water. We'll continue to San Miguel, where we'll have a break/snack and take a group photo. Then we'll start our descent towards the Balcones, here we'll have lunch.
There are three different routes that take you to San Miguel, on this occasion we'll complete a circuit and will be able to discover both sides of Desierto de los Leones which presents many different scenerie.
In order to be eligible for this hike you must have assisted to a medium level hike with me. If you have doubts don’t hesitate to contact me at Protected content
The trail is not in good condition or available at all, so it's easy to get lost. We will need to stay together and keep the pace of the slowest one in the group. For this reason this hike is suggested for those that have already participated in a medium hike with me and did not stay back or for people in excellent physical condition.
Unfortunately, signaling is scarce in Mexican hiking routes, so don’t expect us to constantly follow a trail.
Please bring with you:
• 1. Protected content Lt Drinking Water (due to the humidity of the zone and the extent of the hike)
• Waterproof jacket and trousers in case it rains.
• Warm Jacket and gloves it usually is quite cold and windy at the top of the mountain and gloves.
• Recommended light fabric shirts
• Hat & sunglasses
• Lunch & Snacks
• Headlamp (in case it gets dark coming back)
• Trekking-Poles (recommended).
IMPORTANT: We are carpooling! If you can bring your own car, please post this in the activity wall and indicate how many people you could take with you. If you need a ride please post a message too so that others can offer a lift. If you are getting a ride, please collaborate with gas, tolls and car-wash.
Sorry, but you are not allowed to join this Activity Group!
We are afraid that you cannot join, because the Consuls have limited access to this Activity Group.
If you would like to explore other InterNations Activities in your Local Community, please have a look at this overview page.