THE ART OF LIVING IN TIMES OF CRISIS at The English Corner
At such times, it is instructive to look at what others have done, before us, that have successfully passed larger and big existential crises.
1. Perseverance in personal projects. A crisis takes us out of the natural order of life, questions the way we live, our life projects. But if our mind is stubbornly oriented towards the future, if we meet tomorrow with a plan, not a new fear, we become much less vulnerable to what happens to us in the immediate present.
2. Self-discipline. The disorder induced by any crisis can be counteracted by an extra internal order.
3. Character development. "The character does not develop in luxury and safety, but in the face of the harshness of the real " (Nicolai Hartman). A difficult situation, say the Stoic philosophers, is like a coach.
4. Solidarity. As Nicolae Steinhart says, "by giving you will acquire"! Psychologically, it helps us to get out of the obsession of personal self-protection and to risk helping others.
5. Cultivating positive emotions. The Jesuit monks, when they had a soul pressure, were advised to walk by nature and look away in the distance. They were able to understand that their pain is nothing. Small joys make the music of life. Now we must cultivate them deliberately, in order to maintain our emotional balance. All things are our personal responsibility. Learning to think differently in our internal world is the key to creating our reality in our external world.
Sorry, but you are not allowed to join this Activity Group!
We are afraid that you cannot join, because the Consuls have limited access to this Activity Group.