JaRco Consulting offers Internship (Addis Ababa)
Internship: JaRco Consulting
Deadline for Applications: Sunday, May 6, Protected content .
About the Firm: JaRco Consulting PLC is an international development consulting firm based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia with sub-offices in Virginia, USA and Bahir Dar, Ethiopia. JaRco offers high-quality qualitative and quantitative research services to leading international donors and partner agencies with the overarching mission of ensuring that programs aimed at improving the lives of the most vulnerable groups around the world are of the highest quality and meet the needs of the beneficiaries for whom they are planned. JaRco provides targeted technical assistance to multilateral and bilateral donor agencies, NGOs, governments, universities, and think-tanks in the areas of monitoring and evaluation, health and
nutrition, health systems strengthening, food security and livelihoods, institutional development, environment, and gender. JaRco’s primary areas of technical expertise include: large-scale baseline/endline surveys; data validation; qualitative and quantitative project assessments and midterm/final evaluations; designing M&E systems for integrated and sector-specific projects; training and capacity building; and strategic planning. For more information please visit Protected content .
JaRco is now seeking an intern who is exceptionally motivated, passionate about international development issues, and has a strong background in project planning, report-writing, and qualitative and quantitative research. This internship position is an ideal opportunity for a current/recent postgraduate student looking to gain exposure to the practices and procedures of major international donors and research institutes and to obtain field experience in planning, implementing, and evaluating qualitative and quantitative research projects.
Employment Type: Full time; Paid
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Duration: Six months, ideally starting in early June Protected content .
Reporting to: Program Coordinator Google Mail - Internship Opportunity in Addis from June ... Protected content ...
The Intern will offer general support to the Director, Program Coordinator, New Program Development Officer, and Technical Experts in the design, development, and implementation of quantitative and qualitative studies and evaluations. Main responsibilities will include: writing project reports and proposals, finalizing deliverables for clients and partners, developing research instruments, providing
logistical support and preparing materials for workshops, meetings, and field work activities, liaising with clients and partners, reviewing project budgets, supporting data entry and analysis, and participating in field site visits where appropriate. These responsibilities will require close communication and collaboration with
JaRco staff and project stakeholders.
Main Duties and Activities:
The intern will assist the Director, Program Coordinator, New Program Development Officer, and Technical Experts in two primary areas:
1. Project Implementation:
· Designing and finalizing quantitative and qualitative research tools (e.g. household questionnaires, focus group discussion guides);
· Reviewing M&E frameworks, key performance indicators, and project targets;
· Writing and editing inception, mid-term, progress, and final project reports for clients;
· Preparing for and coordinating workshops, trainings, and field work activities, including the preparation of field manuals activities and procedures, workshop agendas, and logistical arrangements;
· When appropriate, conducting field visits and participating in field work activities to support data collection, identify adjustments as needed, assess project implementation, and other activities as required;
· Preparing notes and other outputs for meetings, workshops, field work activities, et cetera;
· Designing and reviewing sampling strategies for data collection;
· Researching secondary data sources that may be used for sampling or as relevant baseline data for impact evaluations;
· Supporting data entry and analysis; and
· Supporting the Program Coordinator, Technical Experts, and Assistant Researchers in other project implementation activities as needed.
2. New Program Development
· Writing technical and financial proposals in response to requests for proposals from potential clients;
· Collaborating with partners in project design and proposal-writing for potential projects;
· Preparing and revising project budgets;
· Strengthening and maintaining networks and databases of potential partners and clients (e.g. research institutes and firms, NGOs, donors, government agencies) and consultants; and
· Supporting the Program Development Officer in other activities as needed.
· Supporting the Director and Program Coordinator in other capacities as needed.
Required Credentials and Competencies:
· Bachelor’s degree in development studies, economics, public health, or related field;
· Knowledge of M&E frameworks, impact evaluations, and quantitative and qualitative research methods;
· Exceptional writing and editing skills in English;
· Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and work independently as well as part of a fast-paced team;
· Fluency in written and spoken English;
· Proficiency in MS Office (Excel, Powerpoint, et cetera);
· Highly motivated, flexible, self-sufficient worker, able to take on tasks with basic direction and minimal supervision; and
· Strong desire to learn about international development issues and the institutional environment of development practice.
· Master’s degree in development studies, economics, public health, or related field;
· Experience in project planning and implementation;
· Experience in proposal- and report-writing;
· Experience living in a developing country;
· Development-related work experience in NGOs, research institutes, donor agencies, and/or consulting firms;
· Experience using CSPro, SPSS, or other data analysis software; and
· Demonstrated ability to manage high-level relationships with clients and partner organizations.
· The Intern will be provided with a monthly stipend to cover all living expenses and one round-trip ticket to Addis Ababa. JaRco will also assist with visa and work permit application. Application procedures
If you are interested in applying for the Intern position, please send an email to
Protected content , following these instructions exactly:
· In the subject line of the email: put “Internship application”;
· In the body of the email: put your full name, with your first (given) name followed by your
last (family) name.
· Attachments: please attach the following:
o A one page cover letter describing your qualifications, career aspirations, and
academic goals; and
o An updated CV containing details on previous education, professional, research, and volunteer experience, memberships, publications, and the contact details of three recent professors and/or employers that we may contact directly.
Note: Please do not include any text in the subject line or body of the email other than what is indicated above. Adding extra text may result in your application not being considered since it will interfere with the processing of your application.
The deadline for applications is Sunday, May 6, Protected content . Incomplete or late applications will not be considered. Although we appreciate all applications, only applicants selected for further screening will be contacted.
JaRco Consulting PLC is an equal opportunity employer committed to building a diverse team of highly committed and motivated staff. JaRco provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons regardless of race, sex, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, or marital status.