Join now

Moving to Addis and need some advice (Addis Ababa)

My family will shortly be relocating to Addis, we have two children who by that time will be be 2 years and 3 months. Although this is not our first time living in Africa it is our first time with children so I currently have a Protected content . Can anyone help me with the following...........

1) Can anyone recommend a good daycare program for my two year old that would prepare her well for joining ICS at 3?

2) Can anyone recommend how to find a good maid/helper and how things work in this regard? For example; Is it normal in Addis for helpers to live in? Do they manage household stuff/cooking and babysitting or is it more normal to get a nanny as well for babysitting? What is the approx cost/month? Are all helpers Ethiopian or do they come from other countries?

3)I understand that rental houses do not come with curtains. Can I find curtain fabric & makers/ready made curtain in Addis?

4) Given the age of our children are there any items that I should bring with me as they are not available in Addis?

5) Is it poss/wise to go out walking with a stroller in the neighborhood you live in (likely to be Bole or Old Airport)?

Sorry for the very long mail and thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Addis Ababa Forum

Our Global Partners