Join now

Gallery Dar al Anda, exhibition Women in Turquoise (Amman)

Dar Al Anda is the name of an art gallery on Jebel Weibdeh, located not far from another Weibdeh art centre Darat al Funun. Only the gallery itself is worth a visit: coming from the typical Arabic downtown/Weibdeh surrounding into this gallery, it is almost “entering another world”. The place is so quiet and peaceful, but also colourful and creative and of course from the garden it offers a great view over Amman.

Another reason to visit this place this month is the current exhibition of the Dutch/Iraqi Artist Sattar Kawoosh: “Women of Turquoise”. Together with a friend I went to the opening of this exhibition and I was pleasantly surprised by the paintings: colourful, detailed and without question a distinctive personal style. The painter himself calls it a mixture of east and west, the colours of the Middle East, combined with typical European styles such as the Jugendstil. Personally, his painting reminded me of a modern version of the icons found in so many Arabic churches around here.

The exhibition “Women of Turquoise” will run until 24th of April.

For more information about the gallery and the exhibition: Protected content

For a route description/map: Protected content

Amman Forum