Join now

Relocating to the Netherlands (Amsterdam)

Views

I am seen a number of posts on Internations from people who want to come and live in the Netherlands or who have arrived here and are looking for a job.

It is clear from their post that have not done any research before leaving there own country and looked at the ind.nl (immigration website for information).

If you are a non-eu citizen you will require a temporary resident permit (mvv) which you have to apply for at the Netherlands embassy in your country before you leave. This could take up to 6 months. You will not be allowed to stay for more than 90 days or work if you do not have one. Many people also think they can just arrive and hope they will be able to stay. Your first hurdle will be the immigration at the airport. Where you will have to show evidence that you have sufficient funds to stay for 90 days and you have a return air ticket dated for a trip by the end of 90 days. If you do not have these you will not be allowed to enter the Netherlands. I have seen so many people turned back at the border.

It is also illegal for an employer to employ you if you have entered on a shot-stay visa. Don't think that this can be by-passed because it can't. You will have to register for a BSN number and will have to show your passport. It will become immediately evident what type of visa you have.

My advice is to do your homework before you leave your own country. If you have managed to obtain a job before you arrive here then your employer will obtain the mvv for you. If not then look at the following website. Protected content .

Amsterdam Forum

Our Global Partners