Join now

Residence Permit- Canadian moving for Dutch BF (Amsterdam)

Hi all,

I'm looking into possibly moving to the Netherlands to be with my significant other. I'm Canadian. Looking into the option of getting a residence permit as an unmarried partner. I've read some contradictory/vague statements over a couple of sources, so I'm hoping for clarification. This is how I basically understood the process would go:
- I will not require an MVV, Civic Integration or TB test because of my nationality
- I can have him complete/submit the application via post while I reside in Canada. With the application there should be:
Protected content . Photocopy of his passport (all pages)
Protected content . Photocopy of my passport (all pages)
Protected content . Proof of his income
Protected content . Proof we are both unmarried (Translated and legalized)
Protected content . A signed declaration from him
- In order to prove that I'm unmarried, I can obtain a document either back home or at the Canadian consulate in the Netherlands
- Processing can take up to 90 days
- If everything is in order, they will notify him via mail that I have been approved
- At this point, I will come into the country and visit the regional IND desk without appointment in order to get my resident permit. I will then legally be able to work in the Netherlands. *note: I'm not restricted to being in the Netherlands during the application process, but am choosing to remain in Canada during this time to sort out some things.

Ok, so my questions....
- Am I at all correct in my above assumptions???
- Where do I find the paperwork for the resident permit? I can only find a form for the MVV
- Has anyone else done this and have some tips/tricks/recommendations/lessons learned that they're willing to share?

Your help is much appreciated!

Vanessa

Offers from our Partners
Offers from our Partners
Offers from our Partners
Offers from our Partners

Amsterdam Forum