Join now

"Finger-Food" Modern Greek Language Lessons (Athens)

I believe that learning any new language has to be fun. This is often a difficult task when one attends courses in a formal setting with large groups of students. To this end, because of my background as an American Greek-to-English translator of novels, plays, and short stories for Greek publishing houses and for Internet companies, I decided about three years ago to devote my time to the teaching of Modern Greek in small groups of no more than 4 or 5 persons. These lessons take place in the homes of students who volunteer their dining room table for a weekly 2-hour session in the evening. Hosting a session is purely optional. If you like hosting, all you need do is ask.

I like to call them "Finger-food" group Greek lessons, because each student typically brings some light snack item (potato chips, some nuts, cookies, or some juice for example, or some home-made treat) to the sessions to share with the others in the group. (I myself bring often some home-made cake or yoghurt dip, courtesy of my Greek wife's recipes!). In any event, it is this informal setting that allows each student to feel relaxed, to have fun while learning, and also to receive personal attention towards his or her progress in the language.

Although grammar is an essential part of learning any language, during the sessions, you learn and apply useful expressions (including even the accompanying gestures!!) without necessarily having to understand the particular grammar involved. We read poems, jokes, fairy tales, and of course do a lot of interactive conversation about everyday affairs, and also cover important grammar. My students learn to discover the connection between English and Greek words by analyzing the thousands of English words that are of Greek origin. And of course there are homework assignments, so that each student's progress can be monitored.

For those needing some transportation assistance in getting to and from the sessions, I'm able to help out in many cases by picking you up at or near your home, or outside a Metro station."

Please contact me at Protected content Protected content or otherwise through this Forum.

Sid Kornberg

Athens Forum

Our Global Partners