Join now

Kayaking Auckland!

Views

Hi, All:

Any kayakers out there? I am keen and even brought my own kayak and all my gear with me from the states. And you would think that I have been out there regularly given that we are surrounded by water! But not so. Kayaking in the Auckland area isn't as easy as it seems.

This area is very tidal, and can get windy, not to mention weather changes, sometimes multiple times a day. And there's no information available! So the last two years have consisted of lots of research, and some nice kayaking too!

Last weekend I went out at Kawakawa Bay and it was great! It's a really nice place to launch from with choice of long beach area or boat ramp, even a protected marina if you want to start out easy. There are two islands just off the bay that make for some interesting exploring, and very close, just about 20 minutes out. If you are adventurous (and energetic!), you can continue along the coast. West takes you around a few more bays, all the way to the Wairoa River which ends in Clevedon. East into the Firth of Thames is Orere Point.

This is my first installment, but certainly not my first kayaking trip in the area. Anyone interested in hearing more?

Susan

Auckland Forum

Our Global Partners