I work for the Herbal Anthropology Project, a Protected content for-purpose organization dedicated to supporting indigenous-led community projects that preserve and protect traditional knowledge and we are working with the Huichol Center for Cultural Survival and the Arts to put on a series of really awesome events next weekend: Wirikuta Weekend ATX! There will be amazing Huichol bead and yarn art on exhibit and for auction, traditional art demonstrations, a forum on the state of indigenous rights, traditional and sacred Huichol dishes, herbal craft cocktails, a film screening, and more! Check out more information below:
The Herbal Anthropology Project, together with the Huichol Center for Cultural Survival and the Arts and the Mexican Consulate, invite you to Wirikuta Weekend ATX: Celebrating Indigenous Cultural Survival, happening in Austin, TX on Oct. 15 & 16, Protected content . Wirikuta Weekend ATX will benefit the new Huichol Herbarium and Seed Bank in Huejuquillo el Alto, Mexico. This will be the first indigenous herbarium in the world and will provide this community with the independent ability to preserve and protect their traditional medicines, educate their youth in traditional knowledge and the biological sciences, and increase food security through crop genetic diversity conservation!
In addition to supporting a great cause, Wirikuta Weekend contains a diverse line up of events guaranteed to provide a good time for all! Events include:
1. Forum on Mexican indigenous rights, bio-cultural conservation, and global sustainable development--Keynote Speaker: Dr. Aída Hernández Castillo, senior researcher at the Center for Advanced Anthropological Studies (CIESAS) in Mexico City and the current LLILAS Tinker Visiting Scholar at UT-Austin!
2. Cultural celebration lunch featuring authentic Mexican and Huichol cuisine and art demonstrations
3. Herbal cocktail hour with our visiting Huichol delegation, featuring botanical ingredients from around the world
4. Art exhibition and silent auction with original pieces of Huichol yarn painting and beadwork
5. Film screenings of "Huichol: Last Peyote Guardians"
For more information and to spread the word, check out the event poster, attached. Keep up with event updates on the Facebook page at bit.ly/2djoogz. Buy tickets or weekend passes at bit.do/wirikutaweekendatx. Student pricing available for the Forum. Make sure to get your tickets ahead of time--due to catering requirements, we are not able to offer tickets after Oct 13! For questions, contact Jane at Protected content .