Join now

Already Moved to Bali? What can I expect?

Hi, I'm looking for some detailed insight into living/relocating to Bali (specifically Ubud or North Kuta). I want to know what to expect and what difficulties I might encounter in setting myself up in Bali (if I do indeed choose Bali to relocate to). I have lots of questions below and if anyone could take the time to answer just a few it would be greatly appreciated.

Relevant Info: Male, 29yo, Australian, Software Developer, Single (no dependents), Looking to relocate to Bali and work remotely. Know to leave my western ideas at the immigration desk but I would still like a few western comforts in the place I relocate to.

Rent:
- I am looking for a smallish (around 50m^2) quiet apartment or even cabin (similar to a Holiday Park cabin). Kitchen, 1 bedroom.
- Is it possible to rent an apartment short term Protected content for around $US300/month?
- Whats the best method to find an apartment (internet, classifieds, a finder)?
- Scams or gotcha's to be aware of?
- New costs to expect? Ie; is it called Banyan? Rubbish pickup, gas canisters for cooking, buying lots of bottled water?
- Is setting up rubbish, utilities, banyan? quite an ordeal? Do you need proficiency in Balinese to do so?
- For rent in Bali do you usually pay all up in advance or monthly?
- Any insight into the lease signing process? May seem like a silly question but do I need references and bank statements like in Sydney?
- I saw on forums Banyan? also covers local security? Can it be bad crime-wise?

Utilities:
- Reliability of electricity, ie, black outs, other problems?
- Again setting up utilities quite an ordeal? Do you need proficiency in Balinese to do so?
- How do manage your clean drinking water? Do you buy bottled water or use filters?

Internet:
- I've heard the internet can/was not so great. I would probably need an unlimited data plan. And be able to stream video but not make Skype video calls pretty much ever. Is this realistic in Bali?
- Whats the uptime of your internet (is it ever down).
- Need a phoneline?
- Reliability of setup and service?

Healthcare:
- Accessibility, quality and cost of hospitals?
- Accessibility, quality and cost of GP/medical centre visits?

Safety:
- The Australian Smart Traveller website paints Indonesia incl Bali in a pretty bad light. With statements like 'We advise you to exercise a high degree of caution in Indonesia, including Bali, at this time due to the high threat of terrorist attack.'. As someone who lives there whats your opinion and advice?

Bali Forum

Our Global Partners