Join now

Expats guide to Bangalore

Hi All,
Relocating to world's largest democracy (read India) can be both exciting and challenging. I came across many people looking to find answers and i will try to collate all basic Q&A which will be step by step guide to relocate to India (Bangalore). This list won't be exhaustive but will definitely helpful. I will be more than glad to guide you should you need further information:

P.S. All the information provided is first hand and based on practicalities

First of all, Welcome to Bangalore, the IT capital of the world.

Environment
1) Weather: Bangalore is blessed with a wonderful mild climate throughout the year. Avg temperature ranges between Protected content Celsius Protected content 86 Degree Fahrenheit) with monsoon season mostly between April to August.
2) Clothing: Mostly cotton with light winter wear for winters.
3) Common Allergies: Due to greenery, allergies due to Pollen grains (Based on Practical experience and NOT verified through any health data) but it depends on person to person

Culture
1) Culture: Bangalore has a mixed culture with people from all over India; however, the local inhabitants are Kannadigas who speak the local language “Kannada”.
2) Hospitality: Locals are very friendly and culturally rich. Mostly you will find helping and educated people all across Bangalore, who can understand and speak English

Transportation & Mobility
1) Airport: Bangalore Airport is known as “Kempegowda International Airport” and is situated at a distance of ~25 Miles from city center. Best way to commute is through radio taxis
2) Railway Station: There are 3 major railway stations with trains playing to all parts of India. Main is Bangalore City Railway Station, other two being Bangalore Cantonment Station and Yeshwanthpur Railway Station.
3) Taxi Services: Bangalore has a plethora of radio taxi and self-driven taxi services however “BEWARE” all are NOT expat friendly. I have listed down the best & most reliable ones below, based on my experience however, the list is not exhaustive.
- Meru Cabs (can be booked online also)
- KSTDC cabs
- Mega Cabs
- Uber
- Akbar Travels of India (both city & outside cab bookings)
4) Self-Driven Vehicles: Zoom cars provide self-driven vehicles with GPS navigation but get used to city driving before hiring self-driven cars
5) GPS Navigation: Best way to find your way is Google maps (works well all across India), however, you may alternately download “Mapmyindia” app on your mobile as it is more suited to India geography.

Best Places for Expats to Stay
This can be debatable, but some places which are near to work location and good in terms of accessibility to offices, outdoor activities, restaurants pubs etc. (But these are costly as well)
MG Road and around, Indra Nagar, Whitefield, Koramangla, JP Nagar
Housing
1) Apartments: Bangalore boasts of a booming economy and hence we have premium apartments and condos all across Bangalore, suiting each lifestyle and state-of-art amenities. Apartments also ensure secure living environment with 24X7 securities, CCTV and other measures.
2) Villas: Gated communities and luxury villas are also preferred by many expats.
3) Finding a house: It’s better to find a house through website or take help from your company preferred real estate agents as you can strike a much better deal. You can directly contact the owner through some verified real estate sites and request for pictures
- Protected content
- Protected content
- Protected content
- Protected content
- Protected content
These are some premium sites to find good housing
4) Housing rent & terms & conditions: Rents are varied depending on type of accommodation and area/amenities provided. But a rough estimate just for reference (Per month in Indian Rupees)
- Villas in Premium location: 75,000 to 2,00, Protected content furnished)
- Premium Apartments in Premium location Protected content feet to Protected content feet): 35,000 to 75,000
- Premium Apartments in non-premium location: 25,000 to 50,000
- Non Premium apartments Protected content feet to Protected content feet): 15,000 to 25,000

All accommodation and rentals are bound by legal terms & conditions called as “Rental Agreement”, which is signed for a period of 11 months and can be renewed upon end of 11 months (pl. make sure you get your rental agreement done with detailed terms and conditions). If you need to leave the place before 11 months, Protected content advance notice is mandatory.

Security Deposit: 10 months’ rent in advance is taken as security deposit (Refundable at the end of 11 months and is negotiable often)

Leisure & Outdoor:
Bangalore has lots of exciting surrounding areas for trekkers, runners and athletes. There are adventure clubs, runners club (runners high) and many other associations who organize weekend gateaways.
Pubs and late night party clubs are mostly located in & around MG Road, Indra Nagar and Koramangla.
There are millions of tourist spots in and around Bangalore and you can search Bangalore tourism for more details.

Education
Many international schools, affiliated to American and English education systems (with expat teachers) are available in Bangalore. Missionary schools are also famous in and around Bangalore.

Hope this information would be useful. For more details or any queries, pl write to me and I will be happy to be your friend and guide.

Bangalore Forum

Our Global Partners