Join now

Going to Lam Luk Ka in 9 days to live w/ my wife (Bangkok)

Nine days from now, on 29 October, I'll be flying out of LAX, destination BKK Bangkok Int'l airport. My wife and her son, both Thai, will pick me up at the airport and, from that point on, I'll live with my wife somewhere near Lam Luk Ka, Pathum Thani, not far from her son's house. I've been preparing for this move for several months and I've got things pretty well handled on this side of the pond. I'm an experienced expat who recently returned to the US after living in northeastern France for four years. My wife's extended family knows I'll be coming and, not long after my arrival, the wife and I will have a simple but very nice marriage celebration with her extended family, which is MY NEW family ... I've met several of them and they're great folks ! My wife, who goes by the nickname Pim, has coached me quite a bit insofar as her personal family's traditional Thai culture and conservative mindset. It isn't really that different from conservative Texas culture - I'm a 64 year old Texan, born and lived in Texas for about 54 of my 64 years. Traditional, conservative Texans have strong family values, like traditional Thai ppl - even many of the traditional foods of Thailand and central / south Texas is quite similar, the sole exceptions being Mexican, Cajun and Creole foods (I've got some nonperishable Mex / Cajun / Creole spices, ingredients etc, to introduce my new family to Texas culture. I'm sure I'll assimilate into the Thai culture quite well, tho the Thai language will be MUCH harder for me to learn than were Spanish and French. I may become fairly fluent in the conversational but the Thai alphabet, sentence structure etc BAFFLES me. Anyways, I'd like some input from anyone who would care to offer it, insofar as some of the do's and don'ts, other than what Pim has already taught me.

Bangkok Forum

Our Global Partners