Working in Bangkok?

Connect with fellow expats in Bangkok
Join exciting events and groups
Get information in our Bangkok guides
Exchange tips about expat life in Bangkok

Visas and Taxation in Bangkok

Working in Bangkok will give you an insight into a dynamic city and Thailand’s major business hub. However, it can also be quite challenging for many expats. The InterNations guide to working in Bangkok provides you with information on employment, visa rules, taxation, and more.
Many expats are employed in the finance sector.

Getting a Visa for Work and Business

Before you start working in Bangkok, it is essential to sort out your paperwork. First of all, you need to obtain a non-immigrant visa for the category B (business and work). This has to be applied for from abroad. The process requires a lot of documents from your employer in Thailand.

For this reason, anyone who would like to work in Bangkok should secure a job there first, or sign a contract for an expat assignment. Then you can take care of obtaining the necessary visa.

A Lot of Red Tape

Among the paperwork required for a non-immigrant B visa, you definitely need:

  • a valid passport
  • a completed application form
  • two recent passport-sized photographs
  • a recent bank statement
  • letter of approval from the Ministry of Labor (obtained by the Thai employer from the Office of Foreign Workers Administration)
  • employment contract from a Thai company allowed to employ foreigners
  • CV, educational records, and references from previous employers
  • corporate paperwork of your employer in Thailand (business registration, business license, shareholder list, company profile, details of business activity, list of foreign staff, location map, tax balance sheet, alien income tax return, and VAT registration)

Such legal issues can be complicated for foreigners without previous experience of working in Bangkok. That is why we strongly advise you to ask your employer’s HR department or an immigration lawyer for help.

Different visa rules apply to people working as an EFL teacher. Please contact your Thai embassy for more details in this case.

Getting Your Taxpayer Identification Number

As soon as you have your non-immigrant B visa, you can legally enter Thailand to take up gainful employment. However, you first need to apply for a visa extension and register as a resident alien. See our article on moving to Bangkok to learn more about the details.

You will also need to get a so-called TIN (taxpayer identification number). The taxpayer identification number must be obtained within 60 days from the date when you start earning taxable income in Thailand.

To get the TIN, you have to go to the Revenue Department (Building 21, 23F, 90 Soi Phahonyathin 7, Phahonyathin Road, Khet Phaya Thai, Bangkok 10400) or one of its branch offices. Bring along several documents:

  • your passport (with your visa stamp)
  • a copy of the passport
  • your certificate of residence.

The clerk might ask you for your ta bien baan (house registration book), too, which is a kind of proof of residence that every Thai resident of Bangkok has. However, since you are a foreigner, the alien registration certificate may often be enough.

Just don’t be confused in case the house registration book is mentioned and produce your alien registration as issued by the immigration office instead. Fill out the necessary forms and show the required documents for the TIN, and you should be good to go.

Fiscal residency, avoiding double taxation, and international tax minimization are tricky issues for the average employee. Thus, we recommend you to look for a good tax accountant’s services as soon as you get your TIN.


We do our best to keep this article up to date. However, we cannot guarantee that the information provided is always current or complete. 

Martin Beck

"I've been looking for a shop where to buy German food here in Bangkok. Fellow expats on InterNations finally told me how to find the right stores."

Helen Laidboe

"It' such a a pity that we have to leave Bangkok soon. I'll miss the InterNations expat community so much, especially the great events!"

Global Expat Guide