Join now

Got a heart? Give a hand! (Beijing)

Views

I am sure that most of my fellow InterNation Beijing members will have noticed there is in China a large disparity between the have and the have nots.

There are of course quite a few charities and charitable organisations that do splendid work, though most of them are for a very specific niche group.

Many InterNations Beijing members will, I think, also have noticed that at this time of year the various Chambers of Commerce organise charity balls for the corporate world. The tickets at these events can cost hundreds of RMB per person. If I am not mistaken one such Ball cost 1,000RMB.per ticket. They are indeed successful fund raisers but they are very much targeted at large corporate entities and are often part of their CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility).

Last year I tried to coin a new concept called ISR (Individual Social Responsibility). The idea is simple - not every InterNations member, not every expat, can afford to pay 1,000RMB. However, every InterNations member irrespective of gender, age or ethnicity can afford to donate an item or two of good condition clean used clothing to people who care not about fashion but care about keeping warm.

There is in Beijing an amazing Charity Distribution Store called Roundabout. The Roundabout concept is simple; YOU donate your good quality, unwanted goods and they get them out to the people who need them. Roundabout currently supports 30 charities within the Beijing area and many more in areas throughout the country, including Shanxi, Gansu, Qinghai, Yunnan, Inner Mongolia and Hebei. Choosing only to pass on items via other reputable organizations that are already working to alleviate poverty and suffering, they make sure that the goods they ship out end up in the right hands.

I will be organising a clothing drive /charity cocktail party for Roundabout on Tuesday 20 December at the Zeta Bar (Hilton Beijing) and in due course will post the details.

One and all are invited to attend the event.

Even if you don't like cocktail parties and are not interested in having a great night out you are invited to pop-in and donate one, two three or more pieces of your unwanted goods.

Think of it as a good opportunity to get rid of that warm sweater that Aunty X made for you last year that you never wear because it is the wrong size, or because the colour is not currently in fashion.

Please feel free to tell your friends and colleagues about this charity clothing drive but I suggest that you don't tell Aunty X.

In the next couple of days I will post more info about the event.

BTW - If you are not my direct contact and like this concept please feel free to add me as a contact..

Beijing Forum

Our Global Partners