Join now

May be moving to Yanjiao . . . what should I know? (Beijing)

Hi Everyone!

My name is Jennifer and I am an American looking at taking a position with a company located in Yanjiao, about 40 km east of Beijing. The company would initially provide housing in the Yanjiao area, after that I would find my own housing with a stipend. I am wondering if it is actually feasible to commute from Beijing to Yanjiao for work, and if so, is it possible to do so by public transportation. Even if I choose to live in Yanjiao, I anticipate that I will want to travel into the city many weekends.

Based on what I have heard, I would rather avoid having to drive, but I am having a hard time figuring out how well connected Yanjiao is to Beijing by public transportation.

I do not know how accurate the information I have found on the internet is, but it seems that traveling from central Beijing to Yanjiao by bus would take about three hours. The subway line seems to stop well before Yanjiao and although the train only takes 40 minutes or so, there only seemed to be 3 or 4 a day and not at times convenient for commuting.

I would love to hear your thoughts and observations about living in Yanjiao, what the culture is like there, and the situation regarding public transportation between Yanjiao and Beijing.

Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Jennifer

Beijing Forum

Our Global Partners