Join now
Log in Join

New Rules for Shanghai Working VISA (Beijing)

New policy of working Visa in Shanghai – No Z visa any more!

Shanghai Immigration Bureau now issuing a new visa policy which makes the working visa process be much more convenient: No NEED Z VISA.

It’s really an excited news which would help the new applicants save huge time and costs to apply the working visa.

With the new policy, applicants don’t need to go to HongKong or own country to apply the Z visa — have everything done in shanghai straightly! For the applicants who are not in China, they can apply the Z visa from the China Embassy or apply the Z online directly from shanghai border – The premise is: You need to get the Work Permit (Alien Employment Licencse) first. Here’s the Working Visa applicant process with the new policy:

New policy
1. Alien Employment License (Work Permit)
2. Prepare all the needed materials to the Bureau
3. Resident Permit
4. Alien Employment Book

Former Policy
1. Alien Employment License (Work Permit)
2. Working Visa Notification Letter
3. Go to Hongkong or own country to apply Z visa
4. Come to Shanghai with Z
5. Medical exam & Temporary Residence Paper
6. Alien Employment Book
7. Resident Permit

All the materials needed for Resident Permit application in Shanghai:
1. Passport
2. Working Permit
3. Pictures (2)
4. Temporary Resident Registration
5. Health check
6. Resident Permit application letter (prepared by the company)
7. Resident Permit application form (you can get in the Bureau)
8. Business License and Organization Code Certificate (from the company)

You can bring all those materials to the Bureau, the officer will investigate it.

If you don’t pass the check because of some reasons, then you might need to go to Hongkong or Your country to apply a Z visa as before.

Working Time and Address of Shanghai Exit-Entry Bureau:
Protected content visas and resident permits
Protected content NO.1500, Minsheng Road
Protected content
Protected content Hours: Monday – Saturday: 9:00 – 17:00

If the applicant is not in China, then another big convenience for you again: Apply the Z visa on the Shanghai border when you enter Shanghai – No need to apply any visa from your own country to come. Here’ll be the new process:

Working Visa Process for applicant not in shanghai
1. Apply the Alien Employment License and send the original one to you in your country
2. Apply the border Z visa online via Shanghai Immigration Bureau website
3. Come to Shanghai and get Z visa in Shanghai border
4. Medical Exam in Shanghai
5. Apply the Alien Employment Book
6. Apply Working Visa (Resident Permit)

General Speaking, the Alien Employment License (Work Permit) is the First and the Most important step, once you get the work permit everything gonna be OK later.

Beijing Forum