Join now

Visa shuffle? (Beijing)

Hello all!

This is my first post as an Internations member. My husband and I are thrilled to report we will be living in Beijing for almost a year starting in August. I am completing a fellowship at the National Center for AIDS/STD Control and Prevention in Beijing as a third year medical student. The husband is coming along too! Which leads to my question: My institution is arranging my work visa. However, we have to arrange for my husband. He also intends to work (he's a grant writer at my medical school but willing to do something different, including teaching). Does it make sense for him to come on a tourist visa and then convert to a Z visa once he finds work? We're hesitant for him to sign on to a job before we get there, since we aren't familiar with the city.

We GREATLY appreciate an input you have on this!

Beijing Forum