Join now

Expat Bars (Belgrade)

So I don't know if it's just me, but being an expat means living more in bars than in a home - that said, there's a few good bars the community should know about.

MARGARITAS and BAR FLY are practically one place, especially since they share owners. Both are located downstairs from Kraljice Marije, the huge post office (Poštanska štedionica) is on that corner. Margaritas has Mexican and American food during the day. One of the guys who runs the place has lived in the US for 15 years, so they have everything from tacos to Cajun gumbo and he buys all his seasonings, spices, sauces, etc. in the US.

They also have good domestic and imported beer, plus, like it's name, margaritas. The domestic beer isn't just Jelen, Lav, etc., which, if you're like me, you're already sick of that swill. They have bottled Zaječarsko and a microbrew from Valjevo on tap called Medved (that's a bear for those of you who don't know), plus the Czech Budweiser (3million x better than the American name thief) both on tap and bottles. Beers and cocktails are also both reasonably priced, nothing above Protected content that Medved, which is great (kind of like a Šumadiski Blue Moon), is like Protected content a large glass.

What else, Margaritas/Bar Fly have great live music and DJs, I know because I drag my laptop along and DJ there regularly. Tuesdays are for AMERICANA (everything from Neil Young, Bruce Springsteen, ZZ Top to Muddy Waters, Lazy Lester, Tab Benoit, and new stuff like the Hold Steady, Drive-by Truckers, and Brandi Carlile). Serbs usually lump anything with harmonica or acoustic guitar in the country category, but no, this is southern rock, blues, folk, and indie.

THIS SATURDAY - yeah, Easter is coming up, but tomorrow they'll be having Ladies' Night. Free margaritas in Margaritas for chicks, plus vouchers for free food whenever you want to come back. Music will be disco and pop from the 70's and 80's (American, British, etc. - not Yu-pop). Pretty sure they'll have this every Friday after Easter weekend.

Another is TRENCHTOWN, or at least will be when it opens. It's owned by an American and will be a bit on the classier side. They'll have food, drinks, and music - check it out in the coming weeks at Gospodar Jevremova 38.

Belgrade Forum

Our Global Partners