Join now

Non show (Berlin)

I know, I know, many will think that my post will be inappropriate, Internations is after only a website which provides fun activities, it is not to be taken too seriously.

But I want to offer here another view.

What if it was fun and serious at the same time?

What if the event offered are enjoyable, the people you meet are nice AND your commitment to attend the event is expected to be real?

This might be “only” a fun website, but the work, time and energy the consuls and ambassadors put in organizing the events is very much real – and unpaid.

Nobody obliges you to sign up for an event, nobody tells you how to use your time and it is completely up to you to sign up or not for an event.

But if you sign up and you don’t show up or cancel at the very last minute, it probably means that another person, who would have very much liked to attend the event, cannot do so.

What is in your mind? You forgot? Because work is keeping you from attending? Because you are not sure to come after all, but you feel you deserve the right to keep the space occupied, in case you decide to show up? Because it’s no big deal?

In most case I would say that you then seriously need to consider learning how to plan your schedule, which is totally possible. And I can assure you by learning this skill, you will make your life much easier and stress free. I can highly recommend listening to this podcast: Protected content

But the real issue is this one: how do you want to show up in your life? Do you really want to be someone who lives in his own bubble without giving a thought to others? As a person who believes he has more rights than others? As someone who is unable to decide deliberately how to use his own time? Or who does not know what he/she really wants?

Whatever the reason, you have the option to change, it is your decision.

The community would though work much better if people would respect their commitments. It is no secret that many consuls give up after a few events because the non show rate is too high, which means that some groups are practically dead as nobody is willing to take up the responsibility as a consul.

Despite the high rate of non shows, from my side I will keep organizing events for my group and at the same time spread the awareness that not showing up is a lack of respect towards your life and towards others, and that in some cases very last minutes cancellation can also prevent others from joining an event.

Whatever happens, I enjoy my meetings, I am delighted to have the chance to meet old friends and make new connections, to spend my time how I deliberately chose to. And I show up the way I want.

I am posting this in the general forum as I know it is a general issue and only of my group. Be though aware that I might not comment further on the issue.

This post only aims at sending a few thoughts around, whatever you do with them, it is your decision.

Berlin Forum

Our Global Partners