Join now

Thinking to move to either Berlin or Hamburg

Hi there,

my name is Jo and I am a 27 years old product management professional from Italy.

Due to the awful situation my country has gone through the past few years I started studying and working elsewhere (Australia) but then I had to come back due to some visa restrcitions.

Presently I am seriously thinking to move to Germany in a month or two which is why I am trying to learn German by myself. As soon as I get there I will hunt for a casual position in order to address my living expenses and then I will either look for a marketing/product position or restart studying another degree (I noticed public Unis are pretty cheap).

Other than working as Product Manager I have taught English and Spanish (where I lived a semester) in my home country and worked as translator on a freelance basis.

I am in two minds between Berlin and Hamburg. I went to Berlin once and I was completely amazed by how lively the city was but that was from a tourist perspective only and I don't really know much else. I ntoiced that the city was much cheaper than Milan which obviously was another advantage (take into account Milan is really misproportioned in terms of salaries/life costs).

Similarly I have never been to Hamburg and I don't have many info about it. I was told job opportunities might be higher than Berlin as there's a wider corporate presence (where in Berlin there are primarily start-ups) but on the other hand life is a bit more pricey.

So, in a nutshell, I would be really thankful to all of you if you can give me any suggestion about moving to Germany and illustrate the differences between Hamburg and Berlin! I mean how they differ regarding opportunities, costs and which one of them is more suited according to my professional profile.

Cheers,

Jo

Offers from our Partners
Offers from our Partners
Offers from our Partners
Offers from our Partners

Berlin Forum