Join now

Legal changes for independent workers (Bogotá)

Views

Important changes to Colombian law for independent workers. I think many of us here work as independents. The institutes we work for offer no benefits (that I know of). Many teachers cobble together a living by working for several. I do not understand all of it, but the government, in its always questionable wisdom, has enacted law that will make workers poorer, employers, insurance companies and themselves richer. An independent worker in Colombia is now required to have health insurance and pay into a pension fund for EACH contract you have. For example, if you have 3 contracts, you have to pay into "social security" 3 times. You are required to do this even if you have coverage through a spouse/partner or have it through full-time employment. Incredibly, you could have health care coverage through different EPS's. As it was explained to me, the amounts are calculated on Protected content each Protected content . I can't recall the exact percentages but the total tab is about 28% tax. The only part that one can fight is the pension payment. If you can show that you have a pension scheme somewhere else, you can request an exemption. The notice I received indicated that until I provided proof of payment, I could not be paid. As far as I know, this is not true. If an employer does not collect the proof, they have to pay the percentage. It means they lose the tax deduction. I have no idea where to go, how to register or even how to pay, That explanation was never provided. I have full coverage, so I never had to worry. I am not sure about anyone else, but I have never received anything confirmed payment, and my payment fluctuates. Classes cancel, etc. I cannot imagine how calculations are made. If anyone has information to share, thanks.

Bogotá Forum

Our Global Partners