Join now

Question about ban on plastic bags (Bogotá)

Views

I am curious how the plastic bag ban works in other countries. Is is it being applied sensibly here?

On two occasions now, once in Exito and once in Surtifruver, I have needed to ask for a refund on my purchases because I did not have a bag with me and the store wouldn't provide one. In both cases, the stores offered to sell me their reusable bags, but I didn't like the design and didn't want to buy it. (I need a bag with a shoulder strap because my mode of transport is foot). I saw no reason to buy a big bag that I would never use again to transport just a few loose items. I would have gladly paid a few hundred pesos for a plastic bag.

When I do my big, weekly shopping trips, I always take my own reusable tote bags and a wheely-cart. But there are times when I unexpectedly pop into a store without a bag on hand. Is it reasonably to expect to have to buy a reusable tote bag for a couple thousand pesos for these occasions?

Also, if plastic bags are no longer available at stores, what do people use for their trash? I reuse my store bags as my trash bags. Don't people just have to buy plastic bags for their trash if they don't receive them in the grocery store? Are purchased plastic bags any more ecological than store bags? (Especially since purchased plastic bags come in their own plastic bag that you have to rip and destroy to get open!)

Please educate me! I am all for conserving the environment. Like I said, I usually use my own totebags and have done so for years. I always separate my household residuals for recycling or composting. I don't drive, rarely use public transportation, and walk everywhere. Am I missing something?

Bogotá Forum

Our Global Partners