Join now

Moving to Bologna with my family

Buongiorno, we’re interested in moving to Bologna in a year or so with middle school age children. We are thinking Bologna because the university has some programs in English for when they are college age. We’re also working on Dual Citizenship through heritage. We currently live in Texas and we speak Spanish. We’re starting to learn Italian. We have lots of questions!

1. We love hiking in nature and hoping there are suburbs of Bologna close to nature with walking and biking trails?

2. My husband is Mexican and speaks Spanish and English. He is darker complexion. How welcoming are Bolognese of foreigners and people of color?

3. I love to garden! We live in Austin, Texas where it’s very hot and dry. It’s hard to maintain a garden without watering profusely. Is there enough rain in Bologna to have a garden?

4. Which brings me to the next question; weather! Here in Austin it’s in the 100’s from July-mid October. It’s pretty miserable for those 4 months. We’re wondering how is the weather in Bologna? Are we talking high 90’s? 100’s? Anything below 90 feels like a dream for us! :-)

5. How is family life in the suburbs? Our boys love soccer! Are there soccer teams? My husband loves soccer too. Are there groups of men in their 50’s who play soccer for fun?

6. Our boys are used to public school in the US with little to no homework, no uniforms, and pretty hands-on learning experiences. I assume they’ll need to go to international schools since they won’t speak enough Italian. Are there any alternative types of schools with more hands-on learning?

Any information will be much appreciated!

Bologna Forum

Our Global Partners