Join now

Arabic Speaking, Looking for a Counseling Job (Boston)

Dear everyone,

I was wondering whether any of you may know of hospitals, refugee/immigrant centers, universities/colleges, or mental health centers in Boston, MA that are looking for a mental health counselor? While I would prefer either of the first two due to the diversity of the population in such settings, I am open to the other options.

I am currently an international student from Dubai, United Arab Emirates in her last semester of a masters in counseling psychology at Northeastern University’s Bouve College of Health Sciences and I am bilingual in English and Gulf Arabic. Our program is grounded in the Feminist Ecological Model which emphasizes an integrative, systemic, and social justice lens in mental health counseling. As part of this program, I am finishing a clinical internship at a refugee/asylee/immigrant assistance center. Meanwhile, I am also volunteering at a new initiative that seeks to create a network of clinicians, scholars, first responders, and community and religious leaders to bridge healthcare disparities and access for the Boston Muslim community, particularly in regards to health subjects that are taboo in the community. I am CPR/AED certified, a certified CANS assessor, previously trained as a sexual violence hotline counselor, and am currently finishing a semester long course on mindfulness meditation in healthcare settings.

Part of the requirements to become a Licensed Mental Health Counselor (LMHC) in Massachusetts involves earning 3,360 clinical hours post-masters under a qualified supervisor for a minimum of 2 years in Massachusetts. While I will be able to extend my visa for the first year, I will require the employer to sponsor me beyond that year. To get this sponsorship, I will need to be in one full-time position. While I will be ready to start by October Protected content , I am also willing to volunteer from May Protected content 2015.

I would appreciate it if you know of any sites that would be interested or of other individuals who may know.

Thanking you in advance,

Reema Baniabbasi
Counseling Psychology MSc, Protected content , Northeastern University
Clinical Intern, Refugee & Immigrant Assistance Center (RIAC)
Communications Co-Chair, Greater Boston Muslim Health Initiative (GBMHI)

Boston Forum