Join now

House-hunting in Brussels + current market prices

Hello,

I've just found a new place to live near Louise/Ixelles after searching for weeks. I've seen many apartments and contact many agents. Mostly I started looking at Protected content , then contacted the agent, made an appointment, and viewed the apartment. Here are some of my experiences:

* Be very specific on where you want to live. Agents in Brussels really don't listen to your preferences as they literally take you for a ride and show you houses far away. I want to live in Ixelles, but many showed me houses in both Woluwes, Etterbeek, Uccle and Forest.
* Look for whether the house has single or double glass. It makes a significant difference on your gas bill.
* Make absolutely sure that the advertised postal code is correct if that is important for you (e.g. with regard to immigration/registration, some communities are tougher for foreigners, and may take much longer to get all your paperwork in order). In the end I'm living in Protected content even though the house was advertised as Protected content . I wanted to prevent that, but since my options were limited and I was sick of searching I took it after all. This happened to me several times more, so be careful.
* Probably as usually happens anywhere, housing prices mentioned on immoweb or anywhere else are really FAR above market prices now. Just look around this city, it seems that half of the real estate is for rent or for sale. In other words, there is an abundance of supply these days. My experience with the two dozens of houses I've seen is that many drop their prices without even asking for it. I think you can lower the prices always at least with Protected content %. So DO ask for it, and you will earn yourself a week's holiday within a minute.

Anyone who wants some advice is welcome to PM me. Happy house hunting!

Edgar

Brussels Forum