Join now

Rome to Brussels

Hi everybody. This is a question (or rather, a set of questions) to all the expats working in Brussels, to share their experiences. As a 'subset', the same questions are directed to the Italian expats in Brussels, who are surely able to make a comparison between the Italian and Belgian situations.

Briefly: the company I work for has offered me to move to Brussels for a minimum of three years, but surprisingly enough (to me, at least), they are proposing me a local Belgian contract rather than an Italian expat contract, telling me that a local contract, being less expensive for the company, can offer better conditions. This said, I am wondering where the trick is, so to say. In order to make up my mind, there are a few things I would like to know:

What would a rent for a 2 bedroom apartment in a decent neighborhood cost me?
Do I really need a car in Brussels? (they would give me one)
Income tax: how much is it? Would it make a difference if I had a local contract rather than an expat one?
Public health: is it trustworthy and efficient, or should I negotiate a strong health insurance?

Well, these are the first things that come to my mind. Any further tip and suggestion is welcome. Thanks a lot for your co-operation, and feel free to contact me via PM as well, should you prefer that.
Thanks again, and à bientot, I hope :-)

Brussels Forum

Our Global Partners