Join now

Bone Marrow Donor Services (Budapest)

I am not sure if it is okay to post this here so I understand if it is deleted.

I am an Australian mum currently living in Vienna for my husbands work. Prior to leaving home 5 months ago we found out that a friend of ours has been diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia. I'll let you know now, I am not looking for any monetary donations at all! I will be looking for legitimate sponsorship through my own research.

My friend Kate is a mum to a 2 year old and 5 year old. Doctors have informed her that her only chance at life is to receive a bone marrow transplant. Kate has a very rare tissue type and doctors have informed her that her most likely chance of a match would be from a donor of European background, particularly Hungarian. Only 1 in 3 patients will get a match from a family member. The other 2 in 3 will rely on donors.

So here is what I am trying to do. If someone would like to join the 'bone marrow registry' in Hungary that would not only be increasing Kate's chance of life but it would also better represent the people of Hungary. I am of the understanding that there are only 6,000 people registered on the bone marrow register in Hungary. This also means that should a person of Hungarian heritage be diagnosed with cancer and require a transplant, their chances are quite low due to the few people on the register there. I am not here to try and recruit you as you will see.

I am in the process of organising a bone marrow donor drive here in Vienna to create awareness and hopefully have more people join the register. I would also love to do the same thing in Hungary, as apposed to sitting in my lounge room right now posting on a forum.

I would appreciate any advice or direction into how I could create the same awareness in Hungary as I am trying to do here in Vienna. I realise this is a very big thing and as much as I would like things just to come together quickly, it might very well be a lengthy process.

Below is a link to Kate's story. Again, this is not any kind of hoax, money making thing. I know those sorts of things pop up on social media. I am honestly trying to make a difference AND try and save a friends life. xx

Protected content

Budapest Forum

Our Global Partners