I'll be moving to Budapest in early August from New Orleans, LA to teach at The British International School. I do have a few questions that I'm sure the school with cover, but I'd really like input from outside sources as well. If you can answer one or all of these questions, that'd be great!
1) The school is located at Kiscelli Köz 17, Protected content . It doesn't appear public transport goes anywhere near here. Correct? Advice or suggestions on buying or leasing a car?
2) I want to bring my cat with me. I've done a bit of research and I know he needs to be examined by a USDA-certified vet no more than 10 days prior to departure, but not sure what will happen when we get to Budapest. I haven't read anything about quarantine. Can someone point me in the right direction?
3) What are the electrical requirements and what sort of converters will I need? I have a Mac and I'd like it not to explode.
4) Mobile phones - I have an iPhone which I don't really want to give up, but am assuming I may have to. Although, iMessages are free at any time and Google Voice numbers are free to mobiles and landlines anywhere in the world. I'd also heard about jailbreaking iPhones, but this seems rather illegal. Suggestions?
5) Banks - any one in particular that's better than others?
6) I like to socialize and go out on weekends, but as a teacher who gets up early, I'm not really into partying every single night. I do love the city life and want to be close to restaurants, cafes, bars, shops, etc, but also in a calm area without a lot of tourists. Is this an unrealistic expectation?
Thanks for staying with me throughout all my questions! Any advice or suggestions you guys can offer to make my transition a smooth one would be awesome. I'm also definitely interested in going to events and meeting new people, so I look forward to meeting some of you in August and beyond. Thanks again!