Join now

Retirement investment options for HU residents? (Budapest)

Hi all. After years of ignoring the fact that as a foreign citizen I won't be entitled to any Hungarian pension, I finally moved to consider my retirement savings options. Basically, I would like to protect my after-tax earnings against the depreciating forint and unorthodox fiscal policies this government is so famous for, and if possible, to earn some income. As far as I can see, I have three alternatives:

1. (a) Hungarian long-term investment accounts. Good news: no tax on gains/dividends conditional on keeping the account for at least 5 years. Bad news: The trades are restricted to forint-denominated securities (of mostly Hungarian origin?).
(b) Mutual funds marketed by Hungarian banks (OTP, CIB, etc). AFAIK, most of these are actively managed (-> high fees) investing into Eastern and Central Europe. With few exceptions, they haven't performed well in the past Protected content . Also, they tend to come with very limited English-speaking customer service, prospectus only in Hungarian, and so on..

2. EU-based online brokers. Good: reasonable fees, fair choice of investment options. Bad: Reluctant to open accounts for non-residents (quite restrictive minimum balance requirements). There are agreements preventing double taxation, but it is not clear how they work in practice. All EU countries charge a withholding tax on interest and dividends, not sure it applies to investment gains, though. Is this correct? Does Hungary charge any taxes on top of that?

3. US-based online brokers. Good: Low fees, good choice of investment options. Bad: Reluctant to open accounts for non-residents. Withholding tax (15% for Hungarian residents?). Would Hungary charge any extra taxes (health, social security)?

I would very much appreciate any input/shared experience. I am sure I am not the only one here who is dealing with all of this.

Budapest Forum

Our Global Partners