Join now

Buenos Aires Spanish Spoken Here Group

This is a review of yesterday's /Sunday 19may19 meet - at El Gato Negro, Corrientes Protected content you haven't visited Corrientes on a Sunday afternoon, I suggest it. On Sunday's, half the traffic lanes have become pedestrian and it is delightful. Families, friends and lovers all leisurely strolling in an atmosphere -approaching a half and half split between Las Vegas and Broadway.
El Gato Nero is an ever crowded cafe with two levels. It is not particularly conducive to practicing Spanish because of the ancient high ceilings and echo chamber walls, but its' authenticity makes up for this short fall.
In attendance were a native speaker of German with flawless Spanish and halting English, a ball room dance instructor living in Buenos Aires from the States, who really wanted to practice Spanish, myself, and a late comer from Chile who has literally sailed the world. I knew Chilenos were sailors, but this young lady was much more - she was very fluent in Spanish and English and in all topics of conversation presented, definitely a MENSA like brain.
after the first bottle of wine, our little group became very animated - English competing with Spanish as the linguistic plato del día or like a fútbol match with neither language scoring.
To the astonishment of the "Spanish Spoken Here Group" I launched into poetry and later the ballroom dance instructor took the floor and demonstrated the differences between standard ballroom dance postures and Argentine tango - This going to the very Argentine/turn of the century immigrant male roots of tango. The discussion became professionally publishable and caught the attention of the Argentines and tourists seated at adjacent tables. I suggested that if the German speaker had a hat - she might pass it to nearby tables for contributions.
This was met with the same alacrity as was exhibited toward my poetry. The stated two hours came and went and our little group continued in Spanish and in English well beyond a third hour - as darkness fell on Corrientes, I bid farewell with Argentine kisses and strolled out onto Corrientes and home. Edward

Buenos Aires Forum

Our Global Partners