Join now

Can I get some REAL advice? (Cairo)

Hi everyone,

Hope you all are doing great. My name is Heba and I've been living in Egypt for about 4 months now. I decided to move here because I was born in Egypt but never actually lived in it. I have a bachelor's in Mass Communication with a minor in International Business and currently finishing up my Masters in English Education. I've worked since I was 15 so I'm all about working hard and being self made, not the kind of girl that needs someone to take care of her. The problem is I've been getting ripped off soooooo much since I've lived here, not to mention from my job as well. I actually had to quit my job due to the fact that I wasn't being paid my full salary or commission, being told the only reason I was doing well was because I'm a girl, and finding another job has been hell since salaries range about Protected content which is barely my rent here, so of course it's not enough because I also have a little girl and her school alone costs 50,000 le a year. If any of the expats on here can advise me on how they manage their expenses here and how they get around, legit sites for careers here that actually pay more than 10k, best school yet affordable for my daughter, average rent prices, etc. maybe just sharing your experiences because I'm sure I'm not the only one going through this. Please don't be a downer by telling me to give up on trying to make it in Egypt, because I'm not the kind of person who likes to give up, I want my daughter to learn Arabic and have the opportunity to get to know her family here rather than growing up feeling lonely in the States as I'm a single mom and she would spend more time in daycare there than with me and I hated working all the time and not having an opportunity to watch my daughter growing up. Sorry for the long message but I appreciate any advice you guys can share.
Thank you,
Heba

Cairo Forum

Our Global Partners