Egypt Independent seeking copy editor- Garden City (Cairo)
Compensation: Salary will be determined according to experience and skills
Employment type: full-time
Egypt Independent, Al-Masry Al-Youm's sister publication, is looking to hire a copy editor. Applicants should be based locally to work in our Garden City office and be available long-term. Applicants will also be asked to submit a copy-editing test upon further instructions.
Salary will be negotiated with Human Resources upon hiring.
Please send CVs to Protected content
--- Copy Editor Job Description ---
* Bachelor's degree in journalism, political science or related field (If you hold a different degree, please explain the relevance of your degree to your work.)
* Prior experience working in the field of journalism and/or editing
* Native or near-native English speaker
* General knowledge of current events in Egypt
* Preferred knowledge/prior experience using the Associated Press stylebook
* Experience working with Arabic language preferred
Skills and personality
* Meticulous: Spot both large and small mistakes in articles, as well as make sure translations follow our stylebook.
* Journalistic spirit: Ask critical questions to help the reader delve deeper into the subject matter.
* Objectivity: Fairly represent both sides to a story to add a balanced view of events.
* Perseverance: Be able to tirelessly edit repetitive and sometimes confusing language coming in from the Arabic site during your shift.
* Team player: Treat each article edited as a product as part of Egypt Independent team, do not leave other copy editors to do your share of the work during your shift, offer help to reporters though you may not receive credit.
* Creativity: Spice up and nuance the language from the translated stories as well as stories from reporters, all while staying true to the original meaning.
* English: Have a good grasp of English journalistic vocabulary and grammar, including tenses, spelling and spotting Arabicisms from translations.
* Manage workload of stories responsibly between fellow copy-editors
* Edit translated stories accurately under high pressure
* Edit written articles from our own reporters, offering constructive critique, ideas or advice if more work is needed.
* Fact check stories when necessary.
* Assure that each story on the site has an appropriate picture
* Load a minimum of wire stories onto the site when appropriate