Working in Calgary?

Connect with fellow expats in Calgary
Join exciting events and groups
Get information in our Calgary guides
Exchange tips about expat life in Calgary

Working in Calgary

Expats working in Calgary benefit from a stable economy, beautiful natural surroundings, and a comprehensive social security system. Nevertheless, there are a number of things you need to look out for in regard to working in Calgary. The InterNations Guide tells you more about these issues, from permits to taxes.
Downtown Calgary is a hub of economic activity and offers plenty of shopping opportunities.

At a Glance:

  • Calgary’s economy has seen the highest economic growth of all the Canadian cities in recent years.
  • Expats will need to apply for a Social Insurance Number in order to start working in Calgary.
  • The social security system includes a two-part public retirement plan which is provided to those aged 65 and over.
  • A flat provincial income tax of 10% applies for the province of Alberta.

Calgary’s Thriving Economy

Expats planning on working in Calgary can look forward to a strong and confident economy that top every other Canadian city in real GDP growth in 2017 with 4.6%. The energy sector is one of Calgary’s top industries, as are the financial services sector, transportation and logistics, as well as television, film, and the creative industries.

Due to the city’s location and Alberta’s richness in natural resources such as gas and oil, Calgary has grown to be both Western Canada’s business center and its major distribution hub, drawing more and more people to start working in Calgary. As such, Calgary boasts the highest head offices per capita concentration nationwide, as well as Canada’s highest total growth of salaries and wages per employee over the last few years.

How to Find the Perfect Job

In most cases, you need to have a job already lined up in order to be allowed to work in Canada. If you are not sent by your current employer to start working in Calgary, there are numerous sites where you can look up vacancies in Calgary specifically or Alberta in general. You can, for instance, take a look at the local job listings in the official Canadian Job Bank or check out well-known online portals such as the Calgary Job Board and Monster.

Bigger newspapers also have career sections worth browsing. The Calgary Herald’s careers section, for instance, is presented in collaboration with Workopolis. The Alberta Learning Information Service furthermore provides a comprehensive overview and link collection for various job banks.

Accreditation of Your Personal Qualifications

Depending on your field of work and your individual situation, you may need to get an educational assessment in order to accredit your personal qualifications before you can start working in Calgary. Such an accreditation can include exams, additional training, as well as language tests. They will assess whether your personal training, education and work experience are in line with local standards.

For more information on regulated trades and professions, you can check the certification requirements of your occupation on the website of the Government of Alberta.

Needed When Taking Up Employment: Work Permits

There are a few jobs you do not need a work permit for, such as news reporters or performing artists.  For the majority of occupations, however, you do have to get a permit in order to start working in Calgary. When applying for your work permit, make sure to have a written copy of the job offer and proof of your qualifications ready at hand. If necessary, also include the positive Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) for the position. Your (future) employer will have to apply for the latter.

Your spouse or common-law partner, as well as your dependent children, also have to apply for a work permit if they are planning on working in Calgary. Their application process typically follows the same steps as yours, including getting an LMIA where necessary. In some cases, an “open” work permit may be possible, so they do not have to stay with one specific employer. You can read up on work permits for spouses and common-law partners or dependent children on the website of Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC).


We do our best to keep this article up to date. However, we cannot guarantee that the information provided is always current or complete.

If there’s something you’re still not sure about, check out the InterNations Forum.

Andrey Vasilyev

"When moving to a huge city such as Vancouver, InterNations made it easy for me to find fellow expats and the network that I needed."

Amarilis Castillo

"InterNations make networking in such a large city so much easier with their events and extensive information."

Global Expat Guide