BackEnd EngineerApply now
About the Role
In line with our mission of making expat life a great experience, we have built a digital platform, powered by an extensive global network of expert relocation partners, with whom we help individuals, families, and small companies to relocate. We provide an answer to essential relocation needs in a single place. We now want you — a BackEnd Engineer— to help us further evolve our platform and offering, By extension you will help anyone who wants to move abroad achieve their dreams.
You will be part of a team which develops our content offering, whether applied to short marketing endeavors or long-form relocation guides. Together with our brand, product, marketing, and sales teams, you will help shape our platform by creating content that is relevant to our future customers, and partners.
Because we aspire to do more and better, we are looking for a skilled PHP Backend Engineer to join our company.
What you’ll do:
- you will be a key member in a small cross-team
- you will architect, implement and test new functionalities
- you will develop software in an agile team and contribute to maintain the quality, performance, responsiveness and longevity of our products
- you will be mentoring less experienced colleagues and support their growth
- you will be bettering our skills, teaching each other and learning ways to build better software
- experience with object-oriented PHP
- experience with MVC frameworks, preferably (but not mandatory) Symfony 4
- solid software architecture and design patterns knowledge
- excellent experience in RESTful API development and XML/JSON processing
- experience with relational databases and non-relational
- excellent team worker with experience in agile methodologies
What we consider a plus:
- experience with Wordpress is a plus
- experience with testing tools and methodologies
- A team player.
- Committed to deliver excellence within your field of action, taking pride in what you do every day.
- A self-starter, prone to take the initiative.
- Flexible and willing to walk the extra mile as necessary, helping InterNations GO! succeed and make a positive difference in the life of many.
It is an exciting time to join us. We are growing our team in the beautiful city of Porto, working in an open warehouse in Matosinhos (as soon as we resume activities after the quarantine). Our office is a short walk away from the beach, with the best surfing and seafood available in town. We enjoy the perks of flexible and remote working arrangements, private health insurance, free language classes, annual trips overseas, and a monthly food allowance. As part of an industry disruptive start-up you can make a difference. You will help us build a service platform that makes relocation attainable for individuals. Surrounded by globally minded professionals, you will join an environment where your career challenges grow more exciting by the minute.
If you believe you are the best candidate for this position, we will be happy to receive your application (CV and a succinct cover letter) today!
At InterNations, we’re dedicated to making expat life a great experience! With more than 3.9 million members in 420 cities, InterNations is the biggest global community for expats. We offer regular local events, interest-based groups, and useful information to help our members feel at home abroad. What started as an idea over ten years ago is now changing the lives of expats and global minds around the world every day. With team members from around 50 countries, we believe in the benefits of cultural exchange and the power of bringing people together. Together we’re constantly growing, learning, and coming up with new ways for our members to meet other international people and enjoy life abroad.
Benefits of working at InterNations:
- a growing, dynamic company with an international team
- a friendly atmosphere and the space to pursue your ideas
- a centrally located office in Munich and an office near the beach in Porto
- support with your visa application
- 28 paid vacation days + special paid leave
- the option to take a sabbatical after 3 years with InterNations
- part-time work contracts possible
- Albatross Membership for team members and their partners
- XING Premium membership
- regular team events and trips. Last year we brought the whole company to Sicily in Italy
- a weekly team breakfast, plus coffee, fresh fruit, in-house yoga sessions, and gym discounts (depending on location)
- regular workshops, training sessions, cross-departmental projects & exchanges
- annual internal hackathon and a culture fostering open-source contributions
At InterNations, you’ll be working in a friendly atmosphere geared to bring out your creativity and independence. With our flat organizational structure, you’ll have a lot of room to pursue your own ideas. If you’re a working parent, you’ll find the flexibility you need to support your work-life balance. Start your work week off on the right foot with a weekly team breakfast and get your creative juices going with a free flow of coffee. When inspiration strikes, bounce around new ideas over a game of table football. And as we value building strong connections between our team members, you can look forward to a regular lunch lottery, language tandems, and an annual team-building activity.