Join now

Ethical shopping / le shopping responsable (Casablanca)

Hi all,

I've become a big fan of ethical shopping - for clothes, food, make-up etc - and have noticed that Morocco is really quite cutting edge in the market of fair trade produce, coopératives and ethically produced goods.

This thread is to share shops and places for conscious, ethical consumers that are easily accessible for us living in Casablanca.

Here is a mini-market a friend of mine found when she was visiting me that I didn't even know existed! It only sells fairtrade goods made in cooperatives around Morocco and the prices are definitely not more expensive than any other super market:

Protected content

The shop is called magasin taswiq, and is situated near the old medina. Every product has a product listing, about which cooperative made it, where and how.

Another (online) shop that I want to share with you is Ifassen (Ifassen being Amazigh for "hands" I am told). This is a fantastic social enterprise whose CEO I met recently that makes beautiful fashion bags out of recycled plaistic bags in the North of Morocco. Before anyone turns their nose up, you should know that these bags have been designed by a fashion designer at Hermès fashion house in Paris. Check out the website - these are beautiful bags, and a large part of the profits go to training and educational development of the women that make them (rural women in Northern Morocco, who earn 5 times more than if they were tailoring normal clothes) and scholarships for their families. Here's the link:

Protected content

Anybody else have some great ethical shops to share, please feel free to post.

Casablanca Forum

Our Global Partners